Fat Chance Yo Eddy 468Y2MS

Re:

Quick update while I wait for my flight to take off

Frame is in rough shape, one hole above the bob, lots of crazed paint, a couple of dents and missing Canti bosses.

So it'll be out with the nitromors tomorrow to make sure it's not beyond repair and then off to have either patches or new tube section let in

Not going to be a quick build!

Re:

So a quick update

Frame is now home and in my garage, quick sanding of the bubbles last night has showed me 2 holes, one larger and one smaller but a good prodding has not produced any more.

The lacquer on these things are tough but it comes off in sheets if anything gets under it, prob wont help much once water gets under it but I'm looking into an Argos refinish anyway with lots and lots of protective tape.

I'm also missing the canti pivots and brake plates, if anyone has any spare I'll gladly make an offer, likewise I need a seat clamp and post and if anyone has a SLTI crown in 1" and wants a 1 1/8" then id be happy to swap....

So its going to head to the local car sprayer next week to get a gentle media blast to bring it back to the bare metal, from there It'll be over to the frame builder to work his magic then to Argos then the build....

It wont be as long as a WWC build but unlikely to be done this year!

Re: Re:

boxxer":1zp3o0pu said:
Quick update while I wait for my flight to take off

Frame is in rough shape, one hole above the bob, lots of crazed paint, a couple of dents and missing Canti bosses.

So it'll be out with the nitromors tomorrow to make sure it's not beyond repair and then off to have either patches or new tube section let in

Not going to be a quick build!
Trust me..............Nothing is beyond repair. :facepalm:
Just check out my Rags to Riches thread on here.

Re:

Regarding the seat tube repairs, Im sure that Scott Bengtson (chief welder at fat city) mentioned on a Fatcogs thread that the seat tube on a Yo is 2 parts welded together so it may not be necessary to remove the entire tube to repair your frame instead leaving the seat cluster intact and retaining the 29.4mm seat post size

In fact I think Rody (Groovy cycles) blogged or posted (Fatcogs or either of the frame building forums on velocipede salon or MTBR) a repair as described above.

Hope im not teaching you to suck eggs :D

retrobate":24akyxza said:
Regarding the seat tube repairs, Im sure that Scott Bengtson (chief welder at fat city) mentioned on a Fatcogs thread that the seat tube on a Yo is 2 parts welded together so it may not be necessary to remove the entire tube to repair your frame instead leaving the seat cluster intact and retaining the 29.4mm seat post size

The 29.4 will be retained, this is a true fat after all!

Also need to figure the RAL code for the paint as the metallic purple (not lavender) is growing on me and can always be changed in future!

retrobate":ve4hfi1a said:

In fact I think Rody (Groovy cycles) blogged or posted (Fatcogs or either of the frame building forums on velocipede salon or MTBR) a repair as described above.

Remember reading the same. Needs a good frame builder to make that type of repair and wont be cheap but ultimately worth it.

Followed up by an email to a rebound stateside frame builder who may have some Canti bosses for me! Just need to order the plates from Paragon @ 0.42$ each (will cost more in postage!!) and I could be one step closer to my dream bike!

Re:

Starting to gather parts

Thus far I have
1" XTR Headset
1" Chris King
1" Syncros stem
Answer Hyperlites
Mag 21 SL Ti
XTR M900 Cranks
M910 Rear Mech
M901 31.8 Front Mech
XTR cable sets

Still have loads to get and the frame to sort...

Back