Fat Chance 1992 Yo Eddy Rebuild

Well about three hours work later, I am now in a position where I reckon I can get this post looking good again – especially after it gets blasted :D

First I got a pin punch and carefully tapped down the raised / damaged areas, followed by some careful work with the needle file and then the emery paper.

Once the damage was back level with the original form, it defo looks like the tool used to lever the hole was a flat bladed screwdriver or other square edged shape :facepalm:

Front :

Rear :

I also spent time refinishing the post and removing the cable / saddle bag rub. As this was all near the top it won’t alter fitment of the post into the shim / frame.

I tried to take the photos from the same angles as last time

Before :

After :

Before :

After :

Before :

After :

Before :

After :

I was going to get Intrincycle / Rampage to machine the hole bigger to totally remove the damage, but after searching though my ‘yet to be sorted’ box that I liberated from the factory shut down, I found these that should do the trick :

They are taper reamers so I will ream both sides just enough to remove the damage and then enlarge the smallest hole to the same size as the largest :D

Once done, I will draw up a new pin (with a few improvements over the standard item) and ping it over to Intrincycle / Rampage to turn it into reality :cool:

WD :D

I really enjoy your build threads; your attention to detail borders on the obsessive. I generally consider myself to be something of a perfectionist, but in comparison I reckon I'm pretty slap-dash. :D

one thing i am curious about, and i don't mean this in a rude way, will you ride this bike?

i ask because as above, attention to detail is far beyond what i do and beyond pretty much any independent person i have seen, so this makes me wonder if you would actually ride the bike, and if you do would it bother you that it was dirty etc?

for the record i don't mind when people build garage queen bikes as to some it's about the build and the art of the bike as opposed to the riding, but if you ride it it will never be as perfect again, and if you do ride it and it gets dirty how far would you then go when cleaning?

:)

Thanks for the comments :cool:

jonnyboy666":391bo5ci said:
one thing i am curious about, and i don't mean this in a rude way, will you ride this bike?

i ask because as above, attention to detail is far beyond what i do and beyond pretty much any independent person i have seen, so this makes me wonder if you would actually ride the bike, and if you do would it bother you that it was dirty etc?

for the record i don't mind when people build garage queen bikes as to some it's about the build and the art of the bike as opposed to the riding, but if you ride it it will never be as perfect again, and if you do ride it and it gets dirty how far would you then go when cleaning?

:)

No offence taken :D

Straight question deserves a straight answer - yes, it will get ridden :D

Maybe not as some would like i.e. covered in sh1t, but I reckon that not many of them do ... ;-)

The Marin is road only - to much to polish, to many memories to risk, to many great condition / hard to find components to wear out ... :-(

The Airborne is the other way, still built with utmost care and attention, but whilst it's components are very nice and good quality, they are mostly quite new and therefore currently replaceable - the bikes life cycle will continue in this manner :D

The Yo will sit in the middle. It will see off road but only light duties and unless I get caught out, dry duties - tow paths and easy rides etc. :D It will probably be the bike I take on UK holidays. The daughter is just starting to ride now and this is the bike that will follow her along. Easy, dry rides, they won't be to rough, muddy, wet or where I stand a chance of a big off.

Floor contact / damage points are maintainable :

Ti bar ends : re blast.
Pedals : I have chosen sacrificial.
Seat : Flite - Not rare.
QR's : Ringles ... Hhmmm... :? But I will have a spare set in the right colour ... ;-) If a set gets marked up, they will be the riders and the other set for Sunday best.

Other wear points :

Cranks : Going ceramic - should be tough and resilient to heel rub etc.
Grips : Have spare (and purple oury's are readily available and cheap).
Paintwork : I will be careful but accidents can happen ... I will draw up templates and get venturesheild cut (I have some custom ones on my car) so risk areas will be invisibly protected.

It's another reason for running the yo on disks. I can do a really nice set of wheels which are easy to maintain, last infinitely (with careful hub choice and subject to no mechanical disasters), work well, and all the consumable items (disks and pads) relatively cheap and easy to replace - All this without the worry of grinding down classic rims :D Possibly cheaper to ?

Cleaning and maintenance is easy if you have a good base to start with and are disciplined with your routines. My car is two years old and looks almost as good as some new ones on the forecourt (including underneath ...)

Ref my build standards, I am an engineer ( :LOL: ) and was trained to have an eye for detail and to take pride in what I do mechanically - it makes it difficult (impossible ?) for me to bodge and / or cut corners ... It's a right twat sometimes ... :LOL: The work that I do (not just on bikes) is what people see and is a representation of my skills and my character. The GF moans about the time it takes for me to do jobs around the house, but she doesn’t moan about the results ;-)

It does come with its problems - If I can't do something or don’t have the time to do something properly - it gets pushed to one side and ignored ... :?

It also presents challenges at work (but they who pay the bills must be obeyed), perhaps that's what feeds my attitudes outside of work ... ;-)

Anyhow, I have reamed the post now and it came out really well, I will try and get some pictures and post them up tonight :D

I love the attention to detail, amazing detail work.

Is there a actual point to the holes in the USE seatposts in the first place?. I know Syncro's have them to and some others.

How did you get the dent out. I'm afraid my frame we discussed ,is still very sorry for itself.. :LOL:

Hi,

The holes hold the pin, for the bolts that hold the rail clamps, this is the one I have on the bear valley :

DSC06731.jpg

Back to the Yo post, the cable rub was removed by careful work with the needle file and then emory, the trick is to level the surface to remove the edges that catch the light and alter the reflections. It's true that the wall thickness in that area will be slightly reduced but the diameter (other than strength) is somewhat unimportant there as it isn't clamped or doesn't have to mate with anything :D

Nice clean hole edges now :

Front :

Rear :

Both sides now measure 11.90 mm so I will draw up a new pin at 11.80 mm - this maintains the same ratio to the nice fitting 11.00mm USE pins (rather than the poor fitting modern replacements).

The distorted clamp mods :

They should look OK when they are both completed and done in fresh purple with the other bits :D

Of course they do!.

I'm sure Syncro's posts have a hole at the bottom as well, this could just be me though. :roll:

Lovely work anyway, watching with interest.

Back