Falcon K2

Re:

I'm sure Gravy Monster had / found a NOS one of these and rode it at the Forest of Dean retro ride, think he even entered it in BOTM.
In fact I think he even took it to Mayhem such was his love of the thing.

If I wasn't on my phone I'd look it out and post a link.

Spud

legrandefromage":7lphj1gt said:
Thank you. :)

That rear mech is probably quite original and was part of the touring group.
It could be original, but if so it seems an odd choice. It's not one of the "light action" ones in the catalogue you linked to. Very similar, but this one's a later (1987) "SIS" mech like the one I had on my Ozark. I think the model is RD-M531. Seems odd that they'd fit an SIS-specific mech (from a later range) with non-indexed freewheel and friction shifters...

It looks like you have mostly AT-50 series components
The brakes and levers are AT-50. Shifters are SL-M700 (XT / Deerhead). Front mech is an FD-Z204. When I get round to it I will edit the OP to include a spec sheet.

Retro Spud":7lphj1gt said:
I'm sure Gravy Monster had / found a NOS one of these and rode it at the Forest of Dean retro ride, think he even entered it in BOTM.
In fact I think he even took it to Mayhem such was his love of the thing.

If I wasn't on my phone I'd look it out and post a link.

Spud

I've read that thread, unfortunately the pictures have gone though... there are some blurry ones still in Google's cache. I wonder if he's still got the bike. Here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=275276

Re:

he came amazingly close to winning BOTM with it as well

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 745
Re: Re:

Retro Spud":19fb96pv said:
he came amazingly close to winning BOTM with it as well
Saw that! Wish I had a decent pic of his bike.

Have just edited the OP to add spec as I got it. Also, just noticed the Wellgo pedals have got little hearts on them. Aw...

27344175026_f9a1714154.jpg

Been looking at Falcon Pro BMXs now... Found the following quote:

"Giant made bikes for many different companies across the world in the late '70s and '80s. One such company was Falcon BMX in the UK who imported and branded both 20" and 24" HiTen and CrMo bikes."

(http://www.bloggingadeadhorse.com/hotfoot_falcon.php)

Seeing as it's made in Taiwan, I'm going to hazard a guess that it's a actually a badge-engineered Giant.

Re:

not been on here for a while :oops:

wow looks in good shape, Mine has the oval tech chainset and SIS shifters with the light action rear mech , has the same hubs which are quality as they have sealed cartridge bearings ;) , even though the K2 has got the Falcon badge it was a bike of high quality and a fair old bit of ££££ back in the day

Mine is still going strong and gets an occasional outing , It did a local loop last year with the Gopro attached , will have to find the footage , I don't think it will be making an appearance at MM this year though :(

PM me your email address and I will send you my pics over as my photo bucket expired hence no pics on here ...

Cheers

James

Gravy Monster":35gki2zw said:
not been on here for a while :oops:

wow looks in good shape, Mine has the oval tech chainset and SIS shifters with the light action rear mech , has the same hubs which are quality as they have sealed cartridge bearings ;) , even though the K2 has got the Falcon badge it was a bike of high quality and a fair old bit of ££££ back in the day

Mine is still going strong and gets an occasional outing , It did a local loop last year with the Gopro attached , will have to find the footage , I don't think it will be making an appearance at MM this year though :(

PM me your email address and I will send you my pics over as my photo bucket expired hence no pics on here ...

Cheers

James

Yep it's a better bike than the name might suggest. I suppose later in the 80s (by the time mountain biking started to boom properly) the Falcon brand was emblazoned over a lot of BSO tat, but in the early/mid 80s they were still making some "serious" bikes including some very decent handbuilt road bikes. The K2 is easily as well equipped as my Dawes Ranger was (and a better riding bike despite having a non-handbuilt Taiwanese frame).

Actually, I'm a fan of Falcons of the 70s and 80s - even the "low end" stuff rides well and is well equipped by the standards of the day. They used Tange cro mo tubing on their entry level stuff, and where cheap Raleighs and Dawes had Huret and Simplex gears the Falcons had Shimano.

Underrated is fine by me - I paid £15 for it, and as you say it's in good nick. :)

Will send you a PM - would be good to see some pics of yours. I'd love to see a catalogue but so far Googling has turned up nothing. Interesting that our spec is different... How did you date yours?

I love this bike, and I'm probably going to regret :facepalm: it but I've decided to list it for sale. I'm short of space in the shed, got two builds nearing completion in my mate's workshop and nowhere to put them at home... plus I'm skint. It'll be on eBay - where I'll be trying to get as much for it as I can...I need the money!

... saying that anyone on here who's interested is welcome to make me an offer. Would be good to see it go to a good home.

Up to date photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/14907473@ ... 8883268616

Gravy Monster":1riiianh said:
PM me your email address and I will send you my pics over as my photo bucket expired hence no pics on here
Hi James,
Any chance you can forward to me? or if you're on Flickr?
Cheers
G

Back