F W Evans Early 1930s Tourer

beejayeye

Retro Newbie
Hi,

I am in the process of clearing out my late fathers garageand there is his late 20s/early 30s bicycle. It is in pieces but by and large complete. He dismantled it in the 1990s and it has remained stored in his garage since then.

If it is of interest to any bicycle museum or an individual who might be prepared to put in the work as a restoration project, I would be happy to let it go to a good home for free.

If any further information is required then I will try to oblige (with photos) if necessary.

Many thanks,

Brian Ingram

Hi - welcome to the forum! Might be a good idea to tell us where you're located and, of course, pics never hurt. ;) Loving the karma too!

I am located in Hinckley, Leicestershire and I will try to get some photos on the forum within a day or two,

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian, if you don't get any museum interest then I'd be interested in taking it on whatever the condition. I frustratingly missed a couple around that age that had been put in a skip and the rag and bone truck probably got them instead. Sad. I would be restoring it as a reliable rider, though, not as museum piece, and I'll commute on it regularly. Just so you know my intentions in advance!

Thanks for all your assistance re: the above machine. I have now had more time to remove the bicycle from the garage and sort out the parts.

It bears the serial number 762 on the seat lug and I seem to remember my father telling me a long time time ago that it was a 21.5 inch frame size. It has a Sturmey-Archer 3-speed with an integral Hub Brake and it's original lighting set.

I believe that pretty well all the parts are these and with the quality of the paint and plating of the day I think all could be restored. I would ideally like to go to a bicycle museum where it could be viewed by everyone or alternatively to a restorer who would use it regularly.

I enclose 4 photos which may give an indication of the condition of the machine.

Many thanks,

Brian Ingram

Attachments

• FWEvans-No.-762.jpg
    FWEvans-No.-762.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 849
  • FWEvans-Chainset.jpg
    FWEvans-Chainset.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 847
  • FWEvans-Dynamo-End.jpg
    FWEvans-Dynamo-End.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 848
  • FWEvans-Handlebar-End.jpg
    FWEvans-Handlebar-End.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 848
Brian, Some chrome plated parts look original, which would put it after 1931.
The Sturmey archer gear may be dated, it might bear something like "KB3" indicating 1933.
I had a Lucas dynamo like that in 1948, I don't know when they first made them.

Keith

Re:

Hi, what a lovely project, I have pm'ed you, be careful, there's a lot of good rare parts there, as far as the age is concerned, i agree with Keith, it is early thirties, I suspect there's another number somewhere ( maybe worn off ) at the front of the three digits as an early Evans like this should have four digits. Terry

Back