F/S Raleigh Ti Time Trial Special frame Tube Investments

ROOBAY

Retro Newbie
raleighti_zps29ca4ce5.jpg

timetrialspecialJPG_zps7b5ff2d3.jpg

forksti_zps85b966e1.jpg

specalistdevelopments_zps78e3875c.jpg

For sale is a Vintage Raleigh Time trial special frame57cm top tube CtoC reynolds 753 specially made for competition trialing immaculate in every way and very cool ride indeed £550 ono

Thanks for the pic. SB3403 is the very end of 1979 beginning of 1980 so just little after my TT years.......... Mighty fine looking frame though and in my size :D

Shaun

Nice frame. But small caveat: these were the first 753 frames Raleigh built (with the first gen Reynolds decals) and were well known for 'breakages', apparently the early runs of 753 were cooked too hot and they turned out quite brittle. The Ti tubeset fault, not Raleigh!

Our top TT guy went through three of these in two years :(

From memory I seem to recall 753 being around since 1977 ish so I thought by then the build problems would have been solved...........the reason I was thinking seriously about it was to become a 1978 Martin Pyne / Raleigh time trial Wannabe :D

pyne.jpg

Shaun

Raleigh started putting them into the retail chain in '78/79. From memory (a long time ago! ) it was the chain stays that were especially fragile. I can vividly remember our TT ledge trailing home a very broken looking Raleigh TT special which his old man had just purchased a month before... I think he got two warranties out them before he gave up!

Nice frame, but it's all out for the money at 400 I reckon :)

Re:

Lfgss is a tough crowd, retro bikers are usually pretty polite I find.

You will be able to sell this, but it's the worst time of year (going into winter) and the price is too high.

Try ebay with worldwide shipping and someone in Asia may buy it and fork out for shipping but you'll struggle at that price on forums. People have a good knowledge of pricing and this doesn't come with any provenance that pushes the price up.

Back