Explosif 2000 Scandium

Re:

Really like this looks alot better with the white forks!!

I went up the malverns yesterday and it seems you put me to shame at 31 i took a similar route (although didnt do the beacon but went towards north hill) but stopped quite a few times.

Two small children means i dont get out enough hence the poor fitness! ;)

Kyle

First off, big congratulations for getting this. It was a fantastic buy and in that condition, really great.

Second - don't hate me - I love the look of the original set up. The colours give it a little bit extra va-va-voom BUT I totally understand form over function.

Third - which means, it looks proper stealth now. It even looks fast if you know what I mean; slim looking aluminium so nimble on the up and slightly forgiving on the way down. I agree, the lower front end should make it even better to ride. Let's put it this way, I'd like to borrow it and give it a good go!! What tyres are you using now? Like you, using 2.1's really improved the grip levels and confidence over 1.9's.

Here's it's slightly older sister and I reckon we're sharing a similar geometry set-up. Freakin' ace machines!

pKzyhB.jpg

Re:

Thank you Al, I’m always interested in your views on this site in general, and I very much appreciate your comments here too.

My policy of fitting newer components to older Classic frames is probably a subject worthy of its own thread, which I have often thought needs airing on this site sometime! Lovely ’97 you have there BTW :cool:

I’ll post the full build on here soon, but here are a couple of details for now.

The tyres are folding Michelin XCR Dry II Expert. They are marked up in the actual moulding as 2.0, but measure at 2.1. Anyway, they roll along really fast, but probably not quite as quick as their 2 tone Grey / Black equivalent – I love those tyres and have shit loads archived away ready to fit.

You may notice that I have now fitted a shorter lower rise Stem and a sleeker saddle.

The Stem is KCNC Fly Ride 80mm 5 degree, which I reckon has now sorted this bike good and proper. The Saddle is a Selle Italia X1 that I won on e-Bay last Sunday afternoon, so that may yet change again.

A quick nip around the block and it seems to want to fly along even better now with nipper handling, so I’m looking forward to giving it blast at the weekend.
Full Spec to follow.

2000%20Explosif%20250615DS_zpsu4ohmktb.jpg

2000%20Explosif%20250615F_zpsmhsqxyme.jpg

2000%20Explosif%20250615R_zpsabynmu3k.jpg

2000%20Explosif%20250615NDS_zpsye0cxmkv.jpg

Pip.

Likewise Pip, it's all collective knowledge really - this looks a real get-up-and-go machine. On the dry I suspect those tyres will be ace, I'm just thinking to your earlier comments about slippy stuff. Do you think they'll be ok for that?

Re:

I reckon those Michelin tyres will be slightly better in the damp than the Hutchinson Chameleon; mainly owing to the wider profile….. but yeah you are correct, they're not great in damp conditions.

To be honest, I only get a chance to ride on the Malverns when I stay there at my sister’s. I have to take one bike only with me :shock: , so I try to accommodate the weather and conditions to suit – mainly by picking a good dry week when I do visit!

When I ride locally however, I (clearly) have a massive choice of bikes and tyres, so if it’s damp under tyre, I’ll take something more suitable out for a spin.

Pip.

I've got to say I really like the changes, the white forks look made for the frame and I can totally understand the change to slightly more modern parts, especially the brakes. To be honest if you're riding it, then any mod you've made is good!

Back