Ever bought your dream bike and it wasn't all that?

Hmmm. I had an IF cross bike that didn't do it for me - felt lifeless even when I was feeling frisky.
Getting an FTW/spooky build is something I'll investigate. I already have a new generation Spooky 650b darkside which I love.

Thing is though, I don't know what I want or even if I really want it. I looked at my bikes yesterday and i really like all of them and in all honesty i'm already quite spoilt.

Think I'm going to hold fire on a purchase until I see something that chooses me - if you get what I mean.

Great thread ! Can't believe IF produced cr@p like this. Not gonna name and shame but got to ride and test a lot of proto/top end bikes bitd and some were a over complicated POS. Strangely some still have their followers these days. Way over complicated full sus design was a particular pet hate.

How about a Spooky fat or 29"?

By the way I solved the seat post issue very easily in the end - I bought a Thomson! I don't know why the other 2 30.9s I had wouldn't fit but there you go.

Will have the bike finished soon now thank you.

There's something about fat bikes that really disturbs me. I think it might be the thought of adding weight to my wheels.

Didn't realise you were having a seat post issue. Come to think of it my 30.9 ks dropper post was a slightly tight fit but wasn't too bad. Anyway, glad you're sorted and looking forward to seeing it. I've turned my old bandwagon into a ridge replacement since I was missing it...

Well at least we're up and running at last!

Seatpost's too low and I understand why you used a rollamajig. The real issue is the stem doesn't have enough reach, but I only have a 32mm stack height to play with:

Re:

Despite my 'handle' have had a couple of disappointments with the Orange brand, always wanted a Clockwork and bought a new frameset in '98 but it took two attempts to get a frame and fork with the V brake mounts welded on properly and in alignment....a slightly later Airo frame was even worse, full of shot blast in the tubes (from new), BB and head tube not correctly faced, whole frame slightly out of alignment...the Clockwork rode OK but wasn't anything special for steel. Perhaps the earlier ones are nicer?

On the flip side, have always loved the looks of Kona, always fancied an Explosif, but got given an old Fire Mountain years ago that I did hundreds of miles on and absolutely loved, now have what we think is only a Hahana, but it's just the best riding and handling bike ever, plus the frame was given to me and all the bits are good but cheap. Funny old world! :cool:

Back