Err having a blonde moment!

Re:

Not really personal taste but since most people are right handed, it makes sense to have the strongest hand operate the most powerful brake (which is the front one)

Re:

Since I started mingling with bikes back in the 70's the golden rule of thumb has always been rear attached to right brake lever.

I'm not a Yankee either but from northern part of Europe. I would have a hard time getting used to the opposite now.

K.

Re:

Both Shimano and SRAM (Avid) have designed their v-brakes and caliper brakes in such a way that best way to minimize friction in the front brake is when the cable approach comes from the opposite side, that is, the left lever.

It's fine with me if UK riders use the opposite sides, but this is for example a reason I wouldn't buy bikes (and I also discourage friends) with hydraulic brakes from UK online retailers. A PITA that brakes come in the opposite side to what we're used to, and not so straightforward to correct as with cable brakes.

Re:

Do motorcycles have the front brake on the right or left in Germany and the US etc.?

Re:

I always thought it makes sense to have the front brake operated by your dominant hand, the right in my case, as it's the most effective brake and the one that needs the most delicate control. If you lock up the rear wheel the bike is easier to control and recover than it is if you lock up the front.

Back