Ergopower adjustment.

Rapparee87

Retro Guru
Just wondering, I'm changing cables on my Ergopower, late 90s Record 8sp version, Brifters are the 9 speed version (pointy tops), but cassette is 8sp. I only use 4 or 5 on the cassette, the mid ones on it, so that's not an issue for me. The downtube cable adjusters, and the barrel screw thingy (I'm not technically minded) on the derailleur. Should these be in a certain position before putting the cables on to maximise any adjustment that may be needed? Both derailleurs are also Record late 90s. Thanks.

Last edited:
You'll never get it working properly. The 9 speed lever pulls the correct amount of cable each click to move the derailleur one cog on a 9 speed cassette. A 9 speed cassette isn't just an 8 with an added cog, each space is narrower than on the 8

i'd wind the adjusters almost all the way in, this means that you have almost the max adjustment on the cable but also the ability to wind some tension off if you have pulled the cable too tight when you clamp it.

but . . . as Pigman says the indexing will never work perfectly, the best thing to do is have the RH lever serviced and have an 8 speed ratchet fitted, i've never done one but i know Gary at GA cycles in southampton can do that, no clue of the cost though.

I'd start with the middle position on all adjusters. Modern cables do not stretch very much, IME.

Adjust the system to work on the middle cogs. Like the others said, expect shifting to be less precise once you get to the outer cogs.

i'd wind the adjusters almost all the way in, this means that you have almost the max adjustment on the cable but also the ability to wind some tension off if you have pulled the cable too tight when you clamp it.

but . . . as Pigman says the indexing will never work perfectly, the best thing to do is have the RH lever serviced and have an 8 speed ratchet fitted, i've never done one but i know Gary at GA cycles in southampton can do that, no clue of the cost though.
Thanks. I got the shifters NOS, still boxed, so they wouldn't be worn, with just minimal use. I never use the largest cog, a 21, so I don't need full use. Changes are overall fine, but there is always a bit of difficulty changing from the 18 to the 19, which always leaves me a bit flumoxed. Cassete is 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21. Anytime I adjust to sort that out then the other changes give trouble. I've got a 2nd bike with Record Ergopower too, but that never gives trouble, and those brifters I got 2nd hand, but the cassette is from Miche. As I say I'm not major bothered. I might change over the cassettes and see if that helps a bit.

Last edited:
You'll never get it working properly. The 9 speed lever pulls the correct amount of cable each click to move the derailleur one cog on a 9 speed cassette. A 9 speed cassette isn't just an 8 with an added cog, each space is narrower than on the 8
That's probably it. Is a 9 speed cassette much wider than an 8 speed?

the space between each sprocket is less so there is incremental creep on the gears, a 9 speed lever will not work correctly on an 8 speed cassette regardless of whether it is a Miche or campagnolo. to go 9 speed properly you'd have to change the mech, cassette and chain, you'd likely be ok with the chainset and front mech, to keep it 8 speed you need to change the lever completely or have it serviced and the ratchet changed to 8 speed

the space between each sprocket is less so there is incremental creep on the gears, a 9 speed lever will not work correctly on an 8 speed cassette regardless of whether it is a Miche or campagnolo. to go 9 speed properly you'd have to change the mech, cassette and chain, you'd likely be ok with the chainset and front mech, to keep it 8 speed you need to change the lever completely or have it serviced and the ratchet changed to 8 speed
Thanks. It's only one gear change that is a niggle, the rest are fine so I'll leave as is. It wouldn't be worth the hassle and I'm not the perfectionist type. But it's good to get a definitive answer. 🙂 👍

Back