8sp to 10sp Campagnolo Compatibility info wanted for zipp 2001 Build

No need to mess about measuring cable pull or anything like that, everything is well documented on the internet already (the CTC shimergo page is one of the best, I think there is quite a bit on sheldon too). Unless you like messing about measuring things, of course! If you already have campag 8 speed shifters and cassette, then all you need is an 8 speed rear mech. This would be the easiest option by far. Have you checked the rear wheel freehub body type? there are two different campag 8 speed spline types, so make sure the cassette you have is compatible.
The reason I am doing this is I want to use a Campagnolo carbon/titanium derailleur, this is the result of the snowball effect on things, I have to use a screw on cluster because I am using Zipp 3000 wheels, the biggest screw on Cluster is 8sp. I am using Delta Brakes and consequently will want to be using Campagnolo levers, again, they have to fit in to the picture, ( please don't suggest I use Shimano Brifters with Delta Brakes) haha. Not happening.

The brifters have to be 8sp to suit the cluster and Brakes, now to the derailleur, I am using the carbon purely for appearance sake, I know I can use a readily available alloy 8sp and could end up doing just that if I find I am wasting to much time on the carbon derailleur fit up, I have used the Sheldon Site many times in the past, Shimergo wasn't much help but hubub was pretty good.

The beauty of measuring yourself is that when you start trying modifications the equipment is right there, on hand to give accurate and repeatable measurements whilst the unit is in use on the stand, if something does not work I will know why? The eccentric cam method looks promising but ugly, I have some ideas keeping me awake, I'll see how they go, any suggestions will be looked into so bombard me with info, changing clicks? if there is gold somewhere I don't know about I would appreciate hearing about it. I would love to talk to someone who had already done it?
Graeme

OK! I can see where you're going.... I've checked the numbers, and if using a shimano pattern 8 speed cassette, then sprocket spacing is 4.8mm. 10 speed campag rear mechs have a ratio of 1.5. So you need a cable pull of 4.8 / 1.5 = 3.2mm per click. Which is the same as old campag 9 speed shifters (pointy hood type, which should also work fine with the deltas)... you would just have an extra click. Can't guarantee it will work, but it should be OK.

Agree with Foz, and it's listed here on the CTC Shimergo pages.

I also have some very nice 1996 9s Record Ergos I'd be prepared to sell.;)
campagnolosrammechs.jpg

Thanks for that, I did earlier say I am using Zipp 3000 wheels, they will not take a cassette.

I would have liked to do a lot of the stuff people suggest but my myopic view of what looks nice without being over the top led me to the 8sp record brifter fit up to the 10sp record derailleur.

I may not go that way in the end, for now I am though, If you think of a way to do what I propose without using a cut down cassette (I can't use a cassette any way) or a 9sp brifter with one blocked off I am all ears.

If making a custom part is the answer then suggest a method, I would like to buy a damaged or not working 9sp pointy hood record brifter to take a look at the mechanism, these are only machines made to pull a cable, they are not above modification by any enthusiast to make them do what you want them to. I may also look at breaking down a cluster and "adjusting" the spacings? The 10sp derailleur takes a narrow chain that gives me a bit to play with, the only down side is anyone who gets the bike after me will never get it to run without a custom made cluster. I would like to avoid doing things that will cause a new owner major problems.

The chart is a good one and there are many charts available for the mixNmatch people, I did read a lot of the them before I came here to ask the question, I want people that aren't really campy aficionados to look at the bike and not know anything has happened, the ones that do know I want to ask how the hell did you do that.

Well as the chart shows, a campag 9 speed with pointy hood should move a 10 speed mech across a standard shimano 8 speed cassette (or freewheel) quite well. Other than that, the shifter part to swap or modify is the index ring, or you could try an extension to the cable clamp point on the rear mech.
Good luck with whatever solution you go for, and don't forget to post some updates!

Both good solutions, I have asked around for a old damaged 9sp shifter to experiment with the index ring but no result as yet, extending the cable clamp was a thought I had early in the process and it is still a thought, I could make a brass part and chrome it to look like an odd but factory like addition/extension, Thanks for that you're on the same page.

The indexing ratchets are available as spares, no need to cannibalise. Try Mercian Cycles who stock a wide range of Campag spares.
Thank you, I bet pounds to pennies they made enough variation in the design to stop modification by that simple upgrade happening, if you made a new model of something would you allow people to just buy the new ratchet and upgrade, of course not, you want them to buy a complete new groupset, I am interested in what they did and whether I can work around it, I need one on the bench for direct comparisons, this is only thoughts out loud right now, I want ideas, I do like your idea, I have 3 workable ones right now and one I consider too ugly to use on a display bike. cannibalizing parts is good, you give a broken garbage bin part a new life and I get to learn the nutsNGuts of something new.

8 and 9 ran in parallel in pointy top ergos so you are in with a good chance. Last time I bought a ratchet ring it was about £10.

Back