er, 10-42T cassette anyone?

Reinventing the wheel comes to mind. What's the point of all this, for people who can't setup a front mech? I've not yet met a DHer that would pedal uphill even if they had the gears.

On our last retrobike ride it was summed up nicely - people don't actually like pedalling anymore!!

gtRTSdh":2azvfioo said:
Reinventing the wheel comes to mind. What's the point of all this, for people who can't setup a front mech? I've not yet met a DHer that would pedal uphill even if they had the gears.

On our last retrobike ride it was summed up nicely - people don't actually like pedalling anymore!!

It's not for DH boys at all because they run road cassettes (well I always did). I can set up a front mech fine, I just chose not youse one because of dropped chains over rough descents, I don't see the point in the duplicate ratios and I can get up everything just fine with a 1x10 set up.

I'm an ex-DH rider and can pedal up hills fine thanks and actually enjoy it. In fact since getting a road bike I see them as a challenge!

My last 3 projects run 1x10 and 1x9 gears with 34, 36 or 38t up front, perfect for the low countries. I convert to a 36/22 double up front for trips abroad. But I got my order in for XX1 from the first batch with the Dutch importer, yes it is crazy money, but brilliant. With a 32t up front I can now cover the home trails and trips to the German "Mittelgebirge" and the Belgian Ardennes with a single ring set-up. For climbing the long ascents up the Austrian Alps in the summer holidays I have an extra 28t front ring.

Working bigger gaps on the cassette also works for me, I shift less. Lot's of singlespeed riding last couple of years did rub off after all. The next project is to fit a dedicated wide SS hub with a modified 5or6v wide range set-up to replace the 10v on the regular Sunday morning ride.

Less is more.

Enjoy!!

Chopper1192":1wpakghu said:
"Imagine never dropping a chain up front again..."

I've been imagining it successfully for 40 years, as has anyone who knowshow to t up a bike.

There's more to it than that; you need to consider what you ride in terms of bike and terrain. I'm more than capable of setting a bike up properly but did suffer issues in the Peaks particularly when riding a hardtail over really rocky stuff.

I'd never run a 1x set up without a chain device because I like the security which no front mech can compete with no matter how well set up. There have also been tests done that ahve proved that there is less wear with a 1x set up due to less side loadings on the chain.

At work I pick my bike and throw it at my students as part of the defensive tactics training, never dropped a chain. Spent a week at Whistler, 2 months in Iceland, 2 weeks in Kenya, yadda yadda, never dropped a chain. It's not that I ride like Julie Andrews, it's cos I know how to set up and maintain my machine, and I'm sure the rear many others out there who've never felt the need to go 1 x 11 or fit a chain device. We're more numerous than you think.

Chopper1192":d3998zfx said:
At work I pick my bike and throw it at my students as part of the defensive tactics training, never dropped a chain. Spent a week at Whistler, 2 months in Iceland, 2 weeks in Kenya, yadda yadda, never dropped a chain. It's not that I ride like Julie Andrews, it's cos I know how to set up and maintain my machine, and I'm sure the rear many others out there who've never felt the need to go 1 x 11 or fit a chain device. We're more numerous than you think.

That's fine. I don't feel the need for more than one chainring and get up everything I need to.

Some people like single rings (many who can set bikes up) others like dual or triples. It's all choice...if you don't like it don't use it!

Don't get me wrong, 2 of my steeds are single ring (one a singlespeed) but it had.nothing to do with illusions of reliability, and everything to do with those particular 2 bikes having no need or justification to be lugging round a 3 x set up.

Back