Emergency Contact forms - Poll

Should we implement mandatory emergency contact forms for our main calendar rides?

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

voted yes, think this is sensible having been involved in a few mishaps both with myself and others.

This will leave the ride organiser with a massive potential legal issue if it does go wrong, an organised ride really needs insurance. Or at least, for all the riders to be insured. BC and CTC both offer this sort of thing. (Not 100% on details, not been involved for years.)
Once you start putting rules in place, it stops being some mates meeting up for a ride. And starts to be something else.
Would it not be far more practical, and less of a headache (legally and logistically) to strongly suggest that everyone should carry ID. I know it's something our national federation pushes, to the point of making the membership card useful as an ID card.

Vote required and talk talk talk.4 pages now.

This is why a national id scheme would never work in the UK ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Re:

I haven't voted, cos I'm dahn saarf, but can't really see why anyone would not be happy to either let the people they're riding with know their name and a contact number in case of an accident.

If you're not happy to tell someone your real name and phone number are they someone you want to ride with?

No brainer for me.

Re:

Quite surprised there is no such arrangement already in place, I assumed the organisers carried lists, at least digitally.

Given the nature of some of the events reported here, (these are a little more than a few mates getting together for a ride), I would have expected some form of compliance with the normal practises advised for most dangerous outdoor activities.

I vote yes, but the actual format should be one all are happy with, practical and fuss free.

mattr":2t7fpnpp said:
This will leave the ride organiser with a massive potential legal issue if it does go wrong, an organised ride really needs insurance. Or at least, for all the riders to be insured.
Once you start putting rules in place, it stops being some mates meeting up for a ride. And starts to be something else.

This is my concern with it.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know where the line is drawn, but this kind of thing sways things in that direction it seems. I'm happy to organise rides, but I'm not prepared to take the flak for the myriad things that can go wrong for which I have no control. It is not what I signed up for! :(

Re:

Similarly, I have no legal qualifications, however it would seem to me to be quite simple.

In the ordinary way of things, if you're riding with someone you know well and they take a tumble you know enough about them to tell a paramedic who they are and you know their home phone number and so are able to call their wife .

Alternatively, you're out for a ride with a group of people, some of whom are riding with you for the first time (or even the third) but don't know their full name or home phone number or anything else useful.

In the second scenario it seems to me sensible to take some details of people in the group.

I don't see that it makes you any more legally responsible than knowing your mates name and phone number in the first scenario.

Just my opinion of course.

Re: Re:

Twister":2fpqgdll said:
I don't see that it makes you any more legally responsible than knowing your mates name and phone number in the first scenario.

Just my opinion of course.
It's the intent. Having a mates (or their partners) number on your phone is normal behaviour, having a pile of contact details for some strangers from a forum makes it an organised event on the public highway. You need insurance. Or a massive bank balance.

Like I said, it'd be easier to have everyone carry their *own* contact details in some form (ID card/road safe band etc) then you have *some* protection from being sued. Though it's still a grey area, especially for whoever set up the ride on the forum, and decided the route. They could well be held responsible. It's why clubs are required to have elected officers and a code of conduct these days. For their own protection.

And for what it's worth, it won't be Fred from the forum who sues when he gets maimed, it'll be the insurance company who is covering his critical injury payouts.

Fred won't have any say in the matter. Neither would his widow if he dies.

And FWIW, I sat on the regional committee for BC while all this was being introduced, so I know all the reasons behind it, and the likely result of not being adequately covered.

Back