Emergency Contact forms - Poll

Should we implement mandatory emergency contact forms for our main calendar rides?

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Ok, look at if this way.

Last year at Tentsmuir you took a tumble on an innocent part of the trail. You banged your knee on a stump, but it could quite as easily have been your face. We'd swapped phone numbers for meeting up but that wouldn't have helped. All I know is your first name is Barry and you stay around about Dunbar. If you'd been knocked out that's not a lot of help to emergency services.

I think those of us putting ourselves up on a public forum as a ride organiser need to have a look at this potential issue. Like I said I can't force people to comply but we need to at least discuss it.

Re:

What's with the sealed envelope?
And asking John, well do nothing of the kind, outside of the site he has no authority.

Instead of asking the ride participant's, you should ask the riders contact/next of kin if its a good idea and I'll guarantee they'll all say YES

Re:

I like the idea, can't the forms just be handed out to everyone to fill out and they keep them in their own pocket/backpack rather than having to seal them and hand them over to one person? that would maybe keep the tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists happy :LOL: :LOL:

Would agree with Rob, why do we need to ask John? think we're capable of making a decision on this ourselves are we not.

Re:

got a mate and not a close mate so dont know that much about him;
he will not wear a lid gloves or owt so i would not go to say dalby with him'
point is he thinks cos you have a mobile on you thats fine .
you cant allways get a call out as we found out the other year with a crash;
its a great idea maybe put it into action on a voluntary basis ;cover a few bases and
anything happens to the idiots opting out you are in the clear'
on a peaks ride it was mentionde about contact no on your phone and unlocking it
so its being floated on a ride ;)

Re: Re:

DynaCol":1x30pgbb said:
Would agree with Rob, why do we need to ask John? think we're capable of making a decision on this ourselves are we not.

If John was involded he could be held liable in any mishap

clubby":j3dyfrtq said:
Ok, look at if this way.

Last year at Tentsmuir you took a tumble on an innocent part of the trail. You banged your knee on a stump, but it could quite as easily have been your face. We'd swapped phone numbers for meeting up but that wouldn't have helped. All I know is your first name is Barry and you stay around about Dunbar. If you'd been knocked out that's not a lot of help to emergency services.

I think those of us putting ourselves up on a public forum as a ride organiser need to have a look at this potential issue. Like I said I can't force people to comply but we need to at least discuss it.

I thought we were discussing it?

As I said, I've been thinking about it and I still haven't decided which side I fall (no pun intended). :LOL:

I can see benefits to the idea but I wonder if it takes away from the casual nature of the whole thing. We are no longer just a random bunch of folk who are meeting up for a wee ride where it's every man taking responsibility for himself. We have become an organised ride with permission forms and rules and responsible people who are then in line for the flack if something does go wrong. Maybe? :?

RobMac":j3dyfrtq said:
What's with the sealed envelope?

Clubby mentioned it earlier.

RobMac":j3dyfrtq said:
And asking John, well do nothing of the kind, outside of the site he has no authority.

John is the site owner Rob. Any ride organised through this site is under his auspices. I'm sure he has been through what is required from ride organisers to cover himself in terms of insurance, disclosure etc. If he hasn't then maybe he should, and if he has he might have an opinion on this matter. Before one section goes off on it's own merry way perhaps we should ask him?

Re:

Does every one have a mobile on their person during one of these rides?
Do you have a ICE (In Case Emergency) number on that mobile?
Is your mobile locked?

Do we take the persons word that its YES to the first 2 questions?
And the last thing we need is a locked mobile.

firedfromthecircus":bbd9f7zf said:
I can see benefits to the idea but I wonder if it takes away from the casual nature of the whole thing. We are no longer just a random bunch of folk who are meeting up for a wee ride where it's every man taking responsibility for himself. We have become an organised ride with permission forms and rules and responsible people who are then in line for the flack if something does go wrong. Maybe? :?

As soon as you took the post of Deac and took on an officially announced that's exactly the line you crossed whether you realised it or not.
I'm not talking about it for every ride, just the big official calendar ones.
I'll pm John with a link to the thread to get his opinion.

RobMac":2kju37f6 said:
Does every one have a mobile on their person during one of these rides?
Do you have a ICE (In Case Emergency) number on that mobile?
Is your mobile locked?

Do we take the persons word that its YES to the first 2 questions?
And the last thing we need is a locked mobile.

And everyone's running Strava which has drained the battery or it broke in the crash ;)

firedfromthecircus":22cvhq58 said:
RobMac":22cvhq58 said:

John is the site owner Rob. Any ride organised through this site is under his auspices. I'm sure he has been through what is required from ride organisers to cover himself in terms of insurance, disclosure etc. If he hasn't then maybe he should, and if he has he might have an opinion on this matter. Before one section goes off on it's own merry way perhaps we should ask him?

The site is just like a notice board John would be mad to have a direct involvement in anything 100's of miles away. If he did he'd have to have scrutineers and we'd have to pay insurance prior to a ride etc.

Back