EGS Synchroshift Holy Trinity

Re: EGS Syncroshift Holy Trinity

Were those factory?
I don't think so, but just because of the black anodising and the more chunky look. Just doesn't look like Fournales stuff. It does get the bars lower, though, as you don't have to mount a stem above the top clamp of the fork. Found another pic on a different bike, which seems to have an upgrade coil shock, also:

wow! is the front mech a dedicated one too, or can you use any front mech? and how does the whole setup work?
As far as I know it hasn't got a dedicated front mech. I hope not, as that'll be another part to search out :shock:
The shifter is supposed to work with any rear mech (presumably not SRAM 1:1, though), not just the UpCage.
There are two cable fittings: The top one is for the rear and the cable nipple is pulled in a straight line inside the barrel of the grip. The front mech side (with the rubber bellows) changes length, pushing the cable outer instead. Both mechanisms are operated by a profiled drum inside the fat part of the grip. You can see the guide grooves through the window:

The shift mechanism doesn't fully rotate like a GripShift or Rohloff grip, rather indexes like an trigger shift: down and back to shift down, up and back to shift up a gear.

Any ideas what the adjusters do?:

All the best,

Attachments

• Fournales integrated stem.jpg
    Fournales integrated stem.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2,369
  • EGS Synchroshift Gear 1.JPG
    EGS Synchroshift Gear 1.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,369
  • EGS Synchroshift Gear 7.JPG
    EGS Synchroshift Gear 7.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,369
  • EGS Synchroshift Gear 12.JPG
    EGS Synchroshift Gear 12.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 2,369
  • EGS Adjusters.JPG
    EGS Adjusters.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,369
"which seems to have an upgrade coil shock" I know that Litespeed bike with the Fournales fork, seen some other pics of it. The shock is still the same but it looks to me like the owner retrofitted a fork boot to fit over the stock shock, that's why it looks different. I think the integrated stem is a legit OEM part even though it's black anodized.
That shifter mechanism is something else! Over-engineering to the highest degree. Reminds me of a Curtas mechanical calculator... is it heavy? (looks like it would be quite hefty)

Re:

A shock boot would certainly be a damned good idea for the Fournales fork, since the seals face upwards and just catch the crap. I do like the integrated stem, though. Must look out for that :D

is it heavy? (looks like it would be quite hefty)
Hmmm... I suppose it was aimed at downhillers:

444g...Not too bad, though, when most pairs of shifters are in the 250-300g/pair range, not including the grip itself (subtract about 70g for the EGS rubber one, it's hefty).
I presume the plastic version of the Synchroshift would weigh less.

All the best,

Attachments

• EGS Synchroshift weight.JPG
    EGS Synchroshift weight.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,361
I heard the integrated stem versions are super rare... haven't seen one pop up for sale ever, just the regular versions.
444g isn't too bad, not great either. I'm looking forward to some real world riding impressions of this group-set. Do you have the installation instructions? I can imagine that it would be quite a challenge without.
Oh and the cheapo plastic version... hell no! (might be lighter but looks crappy)
I think a member here from France "Mofofo" or something like that has a EGS group-set.

Does the fine thread adjuster adjust friction / resistance to combat cable pull from the mech ?

Maybe the other locks it in a gear or reduces the selection to a range of gears ?

All very cool by the way ... :cool:

WD :D

OK, getting somewhere...no instructions yet, just a few dead links on http://www.b-m-b.be.

Over-engineered? Surely not ;) This from their dead website: "There are 74 different parts, no less, in the X-Pro™, 29 of which are machined from the block on a numerical control machine."

Thanks to Wayback Machine, I found this from '98:

So the adjuster screw controls how firm the indexing notches are.
The pull pin changes shift mode from 'click and back, 12 spd' to round-and-round (Gripshift) 3 or 4 speed. Not sure why you'd want that :?

All the best,

Attachments

• EGS promo.png
    EGS promo.png
    36 KB · Views: 2,349
Looking like my GT STS...I've never really found a theme/feeling for it and I already have the Look Fournales fork.
Any ideas for some nice v-brakes for it?

All the best,

Avid Arch Rival Ultimates in silver with Ultimate levers of course! Maybe a set of Machine Techs (for a more weird look...). Extralite V-brakes maybe? All very expensive choices though, I guess it depends on your budget. If you want the Extralite kind of look on a budget you can go with KCNC or Aest brakes (not vintage though). Maybe a set of Magura HS33's with Altek or TWP levers?
The STS is a good choice for the frame.

Oh, never mind i just realized you already have the EGS brake levers so no Maguras or any other funky levers! there's a set of Arch Rival Ultimates on evilbay for a decent price right now.

Back