Eddy Merckx Early 80's

Falcon 102, 104 and 106 Merckx models were all orange .........we used to sell them :)

Could be something wearing Merckx decals?

Shaun

Re:

That's what I was thinking but there is another the same on eBay at the moment in the same colour and spec

Both appear to have the diamond shape Merckx 'face' decal on the head tube which seems to be a Falcon identifier

Re:

I would guess a 'good' Falcon ;)

Kessels used to have their own decal on the frames as well. As all the other decals seem to be there it would seem strange for the Kessels one to be missing. The head badges have 2 versions, one with a younger Eddy and one with an older Eddy. I 'think' if memory serves right that Falcon used the younger Eddy version, but the same decals can be found on Falcon, Kessels and Colnago.

There was an indentical colour scheme on LFGSS, so if there is one on Ebay as well then its probably an original colour scheme.

I know the shop it originally came from, well going by the sticker it has on anyway. The shop was run and owned by one guy selling low end bikes like falcon, magna, etc. He never had anything "decent" in his shop unless it was in for a service or something. Was a very small shop sometimes he was a good help and would do anything to help and then other days he was a right miserable old so and so! He was cheap for some of his mid range New parts but the price and quality of his bikes was not so fair.
I'm no retro whizz kid but going by the sticker of Compton cycles I would put this bike as a low end model.

Leigh

Re:

Yeah it's no top end model the spec of components etc wasn't great but I just like it ! Think it has great patina and character about it, it possibly is from that shop then I picked up from a guy in Leeds for a mere £40, will keep me busy over the next few weeks

Please don't think in any way I was mocking your bike. I don't have the best bikes but they retro. Who cares what it is as long as it fits and its a bike then great! Too many snobs tbh but the snobs don't ride their bikes and we do :p
I was just pointing out certain things to help you as you asked and I know the shop it came from.
Just enjoy your project and then get out and ride it, that's what bikes are for, not to be built up and left as a ornament!

Leigh

Re:

I didnt taken it as you were so no problem there. I agree they're there to be used not just admired !

Midlife":m23qgaig said:
Looks too good to be a Falcon :). Maybe a Kessels bike which was a step up from the Falcon but below a "proper" Merckx. One or the other :)

Shaun

Hum Shaun , some belgian friends would be very upset by this comment ;)
Apparently most of the frames Eddy rode were Kessels during the Tour de France,

Kessel produced cheap bikes but also high end one

here some info for the french reading obes

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/th ... es-kessels

from bike forum

Some inputs :
www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-769980.html

"This is not correct: Kessels without doubt built quite a few of Eddy's actual race frames - as did Pela, Masi, Colnago, Derosa ...
I stand corrected,

'On the subject of Colnago and Merckx, there's an interesting interview with Ernesto Colnago here: tinyurl.com/2kmqrf

He clearly says that he built his first bike for Eddy in October of 1970, which would agree with Eddy's claim that he started using Colnagos during the 1971 season. This would also agree with Brett Horton's list below:

"The following sets forth information, written in Eddy's handwriting on April 7, 2003, that I obtained during my visit to his home in Meise earlier this year." -- Brett Horton

1965 - Superia (stock bike)
1966 - Peugeot (stock bike)
1967 - Peugeot (stock bike) and Masi
1968 - Masi
1969 - Marcel Van der Este (Belgian builder)
1970 - Pella (or Pello) Torino, Italy
1971 - Colnago and Kessels
1972 - Colnago and Kessels
1973 - Colnago and Kessels
1974 - DeRosa and Kessels
1975 - DeRosa and Kessels
1976 - DeRosa and Kessels
1977 - DeRosa

It would seem that Colnago and DeRosa built the day-race, time-trial and track bikes, and Kessels the stage-race bikes. The famous hour-record bike was definitely a Colnago, the 1974 World championship bike was definitely a DeRosa, and the 1973 Giro D'Italia bike was definitely a Kessels.
(einde citaat)"

Re:

Hi,

Great information on the early Merckx bikes, they were always a little confusing for me.

Its an interesting project, and you can always get the weight down by getting a nice used wheelset if you so wish. I have a later Motorola Merckx. It is a good strong bike - thats why they are still around! There is no problem getting replacement decals either. I will follow this thread with interest.

Regards,

Pat

Back