Ebay dispute : am I being unreasonable ?

lewis1641":22kgduwo said:
i think your principles are ok but your emails read rather agressive. probably wont encourage him to do you any favours if you make demands like you are.

That's the problem with me, I tend to say it as it is, particularly when I am dicked about.

Point taken again though... arrrggghhhh.

Yeah, both at fault here... his comms were poor/non existent but your approach was to aggressive (at to early a stage).

If he has quoted $20 for shipping he should stick to that. If he cannot be bothered to find out costs before quote, then that is his affair. Equally, upping the ante and requesting faster post because of the three day delay seems odd.

Do you really need the mech that quickly?

At this stage, I would suggest another email suggesting that perhaps you have been a little quick to register a complaint, offer to remove it and stick to your guns on the $20 P&P. Hopefully if this is written in a sympathetic manner, you might see your mech (which is the most important thing here).

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs here - just saying what i would do...

I hear you and that's another fair comment. The problem is I HAD written 3 (three) very kind / very courteous requests asking him to pretty please let me know when he planned to ship and through which method.
He decided to reply NOTHING to any of the messages.

OK, thats a bit different, if you started with the courteous ones!

I'd still go back to that tack and see where you get. Keep us posted!

You know when you have mail waiting on ebay,it also sends one to your email address too.
Obvious he ignored them.And that then is at his peril.I feel you are correct.

But 3 days is kind of soonish to be sending threats of dispute,the guy could be on a break or just not be able to get to a terminal in that time
i think your impatient later emails have just exacerbated the sale.youll probably get your money back ,but its unlikely youll get this mech :?

Personally id have paid the extra $6,happy to finally get the part i was so desperate to find.

I know but I felt I was already paying the extra 6 USD once by accepting 20 USD postage, as it will cost him less than 14 USD. I usually don't take well to be held to ransom.
Franckly I'll be happy to get my money back now and use a NOS LX 563 mech that I have (not sure it will shift on M950 non-compact rings??), I just like to have a full transmission and the front mech is so visible...
I can start making a claim on the 18th, which I will do if I haven't heard.

Cheers everyone.

Nicolas

Don't close the dispute until you have either received your item or your refund.

I don't think you can re-open a dispute, so it needs to be fully resolved before closure.

Just my $0.002 worth......think what's at the heart of this is not just E Bay but a difference of culture.....whether e mails or E Bay in years of experience I find that it can often be several days before a reply appears and I don't take this as an affront....things run at a different pace in the good ol' U.S.....a trip to the Post Office for us is an ordeal for them at the very least it's a proper journey....Sure - upping the price after the auction closes is out of order....but starting a dispute after three days is also pretty severe and not likely to win you any favours....like I say....just another opinion

Back