Early Muddyfox Lovers Anonynmous

Just trying to do a bit of research about this bike.
I work as a mechanic for a cycling charity. I personally have a courier but don’t know much about the seeker, or how much it’s worth to the charity to sell.
Cheers
Toby
I can't advise what it is worth but it has some lovely aspects to it's shabbiness ......
- Looks like it is an early Araya made example
- Great bar stem combo
If it were near me in North Hampshire I would happily view it and consider an offer (as I am.sure many others would). I think the value depends in how much work it needs, and it look in need of a big dollop of TLC 😁

I can't advise what it is worth but it has some lovely aspects to it's shabbiness ......
- Looks like it is an early Araya made example
- Great bar stem combo
If it were near me in North Hampshire I would happily view it and consider an offer (as I am.sure many others would). I think the value depends in how much work it needs, and it look in need of a big dollop of TLC 😁
Awesome. Yeah absolutely love them! Unfortunately it’s considerably too small for me. I have stripped it down and starting to give it some TLC.
I’m down in Devon, I shall post a pic when I have worked my magic, it will then be up for sale of which the money will be going to the charity.
Thanks

Hard to price as it depends on the demand and how well some of those parts will restore. I’ve put some thoughts below in no particular order
- I just paid £117 for a very good condition MF frame/forks/headset/bottom bracket all original and comparable to this model some folk would say I paid too much
- yours/the charities is missing some of the parts that are more expensive to obtain if someone were to restore this - Kashimax saddle; OGK grips (but you can get repro ones in BMX scene) Suntour Beartrap pedals; rear mech
- the paint is poor on the Down tube and the rear triangle, may have got away with painting just the rear triangle but it is a bit far gone and needs some decals on the Down tube
- there are some good points, those tyres if they have half decent sidewalls are early probably IRC or Panaracer or even National Tire and desirable if relatively useable/presentable
- the bars do have some rust but look like they would clean up with tinfoil, wheels look original as do shifters and brakes

If it came up for sale and it were my size I’d probably max out at £75-£100 as it needs so much. If it were all there and just poor condition maybe £150 and if it were complete and minty who knows maybe £250 plus maybe more. Depends on the desire of the buyer - if you don’t already have a stash of parts or a cheap supply then obtaining them is going to cost a lot more than the worth of the whole thing if that makes sense.

Happy to be told that’s all nonsense but I’ve worked on a few of these now. Donor bike is the way forward!

Hard to price as it depends on the demand and how well some of those parts will restore. I’ve put some thoughts below in no particular order
- I just paid £117 for a very good condition MF frame/forks/headset/bottom bracket all original and comparable to this model some folk would say I paid too much
- yours/the charities is missing some of the parts that are more expensive to obtain if someone were to restore this - Kashimax saddle; OGK grips (but you can get repro ones in BMX scene) Suntour Beartrap pedals; rear mech
- the paint is poor on the Down tube and the rear triangle, may have got away with painting just the rear triangle but it is a bit far gone and needs some decals on the Down tube
- there are some good points, those tyres if they have half decent sidewalls are early probably IRC or Panaracer or even National Tire and desirable if relatively useable/presentable
- the bars do have some rust but look like they would clean up with tinfoil, wheels look original as do shifters and brakes

If it came up for sale and it were my size I’d probably max out at £75-£100 as it needs so much. If it were all there and just poor condition maybe £150 and if it were complete and minty who knows maybe £250 plus maybe more. Depends on the desire of the buyer - if you don’t already have a stash of parts or a cheap supply then obtaining them is going to cost a lot more than the worth of the whole thing if that makes sense.

Happy to be told that’s all nonsense but I’ve worked on a few of these now. Donor bike is the way forward!
Thank you, that’s really helpful actually:)
Yeah I have stripped it down, wire wool over the bars, touch up paint on the worst of it. Serviced the bb, obviously given it a good clean.
It’s just the sort of bike I would personally would have taken their hand off over if it was around a 21/22 inch frame. I think I will probably just continue the service tomorrow, then see what parts we have (we have a huge parts room store) definitely don’t think we have a mech, but il try and find something age appropriate.
I also know of someone who makes decals for old muddy fox bikes, so might inquire about how much a set would be, just to tidy it up a bit.
Thanks again for everyone’s input.
i need to service both the hubs and give the wheels a very good clean. Should have it running tomorrow without the complete original parts, however happy to wait for better suited components

Cheers, Toby

Love it. My mate had that rack/frame bag and disc combo with the addition of a matching Zefal pump on his Apollo! His dad added some of those flouro traffic studs/cats eyes to the disc for extra flouro effect.
Cool
I’ve got the zefal pump same colour just need to sort out the brackets

22081611532726369317972266.png

22081611532726369317972269.png

and now :
22100605300626369318017552.png

This is from my other thread, trying to identify exactly what Muddy Fox it is. The mystery is the lack of eyelets, suggesting it is for racing and the shape of the stays- one piece U bend.
Is it deffo MF even? 20230417_120232.jpg 20230417_121142.jpg

Latest posts

Back