Early Bontrager or Salsa fillet brazed unicrown fork???

jimi911

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
This fork came on a 1986-7 Mountain Klein I picked up a couple years back. I assumed it was a stock Klein fork and really didn't take a good look at it until yesterday. Turns out it's a fillet brazed fork - which is cool - but now I'd like to know who made it.

Guesses so far
- it's sorta like an early fat chance, but the bosses and crown are different
- could be an early Bontrager.

The brazing in the crown is pretty fine. Not as liberal as other forks I have seen. Pretty light to.

Re: Anyone want to take a swing at IDing this fillet brazed fork

legrandefromage":1assk0o7 said:
Tim the Transvestite Welder Sex Fork Mk2?

Ha! I have a stem from him. I believe he now goes by the more politically correct "Twin Spirited Tim" :LOL:

Re:

With some help I think I've narrowed it down to an 1984-6 Bontrager or Salsa? Still could be something else.

Would anyone have an early unicrown from either? I've seen a few different designs from both. None without brakes so I can't see what the bosses look like.

Early Bontrager unicrown. steerer extends below filets, dropouts filed to a point at the legs, Un-filled fish mouths at the bottom of the legs

Brazed salsa. Bottom of steerer is mitered for clearance

Both use the same style canti boss

Thanks!!!

Tricky call. The pointed dropouts on your bonty fork match the one I have perfectly. The profile is a little narrower like the salsa. I've seen some bonty forks with a similar narrow profile.

Tough call ...

Back