Early Bontrager brake posts

JonSus

Dirt Disciple
Hi, In had my Bontrager frame and fork on display and someone stole the brake posts out of it front and rear. They look like a smaller diameter thread then other posts I have. Does anyone know what they used and if they are easy, hard or imposible to track down. Any help is appreciated. The frame is from around 1990 with a rigid bontrager switchblade style fork.

Attachments

• bontrager 043 (800x600).jpg
    bontrager 043 (800x600).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 694
  • bontrager 045 (800x600).jpg
    bontrager 045 (800x600).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 694
  • bontrager 044 (800x600).jpg
    bontrager 044 (800x600).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 694
Re:

I have a '91 OR
I will measure the thread characteristics tomorrow and post results.

Mine had socket cap screws fitted

Re:

Check this thread out:

viewtopic.php?t=222590

Bontrager used a very different approach. Rather than screw in bosses he used short hollow sleeves that sat inside the canti brakes and long bolts (m6x40mm) bolts that threaded all the way through and into the frame.

IMG_0252.jpg

Somebody like Chris at Intrincycles (username-Ramage on here) could probably make you some and then get some bolts from a decent hardware shop. Or use problem solvers cantilever rescue kit.

Re:

My Cameron frame has something similar. It had some sort of machined sleeve like the early bontragers, which will be impossible to find.

I am not sure if this helps, but I figured out that my Cameron took the same M6 canti stud as a RS1/Mag20-21 so I ordered these:

https://shop.brake-stuff.de/en/brake-bo ... ze-m6.html

The rockshox stud is not threaded to the base of the boss so it wouldn't work right. Hopefully these will work on mine ... maybe yours?

Now that I see how they were I think I can come up with something. If not I might hit you up rampage. Thanks

Back