E-bikes and scooters trouble on the road ITV @8:30pm

It’s the instantaneous combustion of there batteries that’s worrying & I certainly wouldn’t one in the house as they are a hazard & danger to health……I don’t care what you say about safety of a battery…..

Yep, I keep my mobile phone in a secure metal box located 100m from my property. As for my rechargeable front light...

And your tablet, and laptop, and toothbrush, hair trimmer, Tesla and on and on.

One anti cyclist campaigner described an e-bike battery as having the destructive force of six hand grenades. Since then I have been using ‘handgrenades’ (hG) as the unit of measurement for power of lithium batteries.

Mobile phone = 0.5 hG
Electric toothbrush = 0.25 hG
Laptop = 1.0 hG

I think the average household probably has the equivalent of 10 handgrenades in drawers and cupboards, it’s a disgrace.

Last edited:
The examples of fires from battery charging were actually cheaply made toys. Proper bike manufacturers (and cars for that matter) use properly made batteries.
There was one story in there of a poor chap who got pretty badly injured when an unspecified e-biker ran a red light and clobbered him as he was crossing the road. He said he knew nothing between standing at the kerb and waking up in an ambulance. Nothing?
I have every sympathy for him of course, but ... he stepped off the kerb at a pedestrian crossing without even looking. Not saying its his own fault, but common sense dictates you excerpt a little bit of self-preservation in your day-to-day life.
Yes, it wouldn't have happened if the cyclist had obeyed the law, but it wouldn't have happened for many other reasons too.

Back