Father & Son mobility scooter go kart project..

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
cdc4d413-41b1-4929-8b32-e0ed36d68d83.jpeg 8ff829b0-3a43-4c63-91b4-4afc2e0128fd.jpeg
Inspired by this summers steam fairs, and the small scale engines you see there. Me and my son (11) have decided to build a small pick up truck which we're basing on a mobility scooter chassis/running gear.
Picked up this road legal (8mph) scoot off the eBay for a bargain £300…
IMG_2385.jpeg
Got it stripped down pretty quick, labelling wiring connections as we went.
We mocked up a rough idea of bodywork using cardboard and masking tape - this gave me a reference for how and where to extend the chassis. We also had to grind off the steering rod and weld it back on at an angle as the handlebars on the scoot came straight up - we needed it angled back slightly.
IMG_2494.jpeg IMG_2495.jpeg
I bought 15 metres of 20x20 box section and cut some lengths to start fabricating the new shape of the vehicle. Luckily my little screwfix chop saw can cut steel too so that made cutting the mitred joints easy!
I’ve mig welded the frame up to this point, practising on some scraps first to get my gas/wire speed and power settings dialled in best I can. I’m no pro welder but I’m very happy with how it’s going so far.
Thought I’d keep a build updated on here for others to see and as a future reference for myself. Hope you like!

Work continues on the box frame of the chassis, it’s slowly starting to take shape:
IMG_2536.jpeg IMG_2537.jpeg
Front grille section made up and installed along with braces to the bulkhead which will form the bonnet/scuttle. Also braced up the rear section to the original chassis so it’s pretty solid now front and back.
Next will be to fabricate the windscreen surround and make up the tailgate, then the floor pans made up and body panels can be cut from ally sheet and riveted on.

Latest posts

Back