Dug out the Raleigh Massif.

standard

IMG_1456.jpg

:cool:
Going to clean it up now, thanks for pics.
Don't have the standard seat anymore, it was like lots of little bumps on it, like tortoise shell but all black.
Hard to explain.
The boy says we can't sell it anyway, we have owned it for 20 years :LOL:

Re:

Hiya, if anyone's interested I have a Raleigh Massif that needs a kind home! Hubby picked her out of a skip!! She needs TLC to get her back up and running but if you can come and get her you are welcome to her (rather she went to someone who knows what she is and how iconic she was).

Attachments

• Rayleigh Massif (1)med.jpg
    Rayleigh Massif (1)med.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Rayleigh Massif (2)med.jpg
    Rayleigh Massif (2)med.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 231
Advert no longer available Tom.
I would never have thought of myself as a rich kid.
That was first decent bike.

Kona-Ian":jzgr90ig said:

Ha, was live when I posted it... wonder if anyone here bought it?

Nah, just about priorities I suppose...we had a big house and old cars. Round my way the kids with the brand new raleighs seemed to be the privileged ones...and the Massif seemed relatively high spec - a cut above lizards, mustangs etc. Apart from the odd Diamondback BMX it didn’t really get much more exotic than that.

Re:

If we ever get out of this lock down, Edinburgh Bike Station's got a slightly later version mint condition Massif I'll punt out on here. Its a uniform darker blue with colourful graphics, completely original.
I had a battered one myself at one point. Handling was brilliant, Raleigh might have made boat anchors but they nailed the frame geometry.

bluetomgold":312hfxjw said:
Kona-Ian":312hfxjw said:

Ha, was live when I posted it... wonder if anyone here bought it?

Nah, just about priorities I suppose...we had a big house and old cars. Round my way the kids with the brand new raleighs seemed to be the privileged ones...and the Massif seemed relatively high spec - a cut above lizards, mustangs etc. Apart from the odd Diamondback BMX it didn’t really get much more exotic than that.

Tom everything was different back then. Now everyone gets finance on pretty much anything.
Some of the bikes in the bike shed at School were pretty decent.
I had two paper rounds and used to wash cars.
Local shop done layaway, when I had my first Kona at 15 and used to pay weekly for bits.

velomaniac":312hfxjw said:
If we ever get out of this lock down, Edinburgh Bike Station's got a slightly later version mint condition Massif I'll punt out on here. Its a uniform darker blue with colourful graphics, completely original.
I had a battered one myself at one point. Handling was brilliant, Raleigh might have made boat anchors but they nailed the frame geometry.

velo, I had no idea they made another Massif.
Would like to see that. Mines all original apart from the saddle.
One of my mates got a Raleigh Massif, was not happy. Look like a right pair of tools riding about.

Kona-Ian":1s0jte3n said:
Tom everything was different back then. Now everyone gets finance on pretty much anything.
Some of the bikes in the bike shed at School were pretty decent.
I had two paper rounds and used to wash cars.
Local shop done layaway, when I had my first Kona at 15 and used to pay weekly for bits.

When the massif was new I was probably about 11 or 12 and possibly still on a kids bike with 20” wheels. I started my paper round a bit later, was about £4-£5 a week so I would never have paid for a brand new bike... I washed cars too, going door to door, quite lucrative, and also clearing snow in winter. Fond memories! No idea what the money got spent on... Records? Computer stuff?

Cycling to school was generally discouraged when I was a kid. Parents were terrified of London traffic. Poshest bike in the shed was a Raleigh banana, but I knew that it was a bit basic, with the huret mech... a massif (or anything with SIS shimano) was the next level... it was always Raleigh, that was all the LBS sold...

First decent bike I had was a 50s Raleigh I fixed up with my dad. I’ve always had old stuff. I like it. I wouldn’t have even known what a kona was at 15, but to tell the truth by then I was more interested in music and girls. A lot of my interest in retro MTBs comes from totally missing it at the time!

Not everyone buys stuff on finance. I don’t.

Sorry, what am I going on about? :facepalm: :mrgreen:

Back