Drugs.

sad to hear this. I too have family with drug problems. If I could offer any advice it would be to encourage him to find his role models, to take inspiration from those he admires. At 16 it's hard to imagine a future that's as exciting as one without drugs but there are so many creative successful inspirational drug free winners out there. best wishes from another struggler

Cool thread. I seem to be lucky to have gone through without facing this, but I know mine have smoked a bit and certainly danced a bit on the same gear I was taking back in the day.

It is normally just a phase.

Rip that console out of their hands and take them up a hill.

From my experiences with drugs, the 2 main factors in giving up drugs was seeing my brother taking heroine for the 1st time, and a supposedly good friend giving me something in a cup of coffee which made me feel like I was about to die. Add that to my battle with manic depression.
So my drug of choice for the last 20 + years has been a mix of good old fashioned endorphins mixed with a small dose of natural adrenaline.
The feelings I get from music and exercise are far better than any of the drugs I used to take.
That being said I do still have my struggles with manic depression. But I can manage with out the need for prescription drugs to help me cope.

Re:

The tranquility/calming effects of a regular meditation practice can help mitigate the peaks and troughs of manic depression.

Re:

Jeff/Videojetman – I'm really sorry to hear your news about your son and I do hope he improves, gets better and hopefully move away from the scene. I can only echo the points K-Rod made in the first reply to the post. It's gonna be difficult for both you and your son – I think all you can do is be there for him unconditionally for when he needs support.

In the early/mid 90s, I lived in Stoke-on-Trent a few years while doing a training course. There was a good music and social scene there which grew and grew, pulling more people in. It was the height of Brit Pop and everyone was buzzing. It was ripe for drugs and somehow more and more of us got pulled into it. Life seemed like a party. I ended up in a house sharing with mates, one of them being a dealer Called Starko – a larger-than-life character and cliche. The fridge would include, amongst other pharmaceuticals, large sheets of acid ready for dividing into little tabs for sale. After another year in Stoke, the scene turned bitter, disintegrating as people got sucked into darker places. It became like Trainspotting. The party was over. In the end, the only thing I could do to get out of the tail spin, was to stop everything, move away and close the door on that life. Sometime later, some of us including the dealer chap, happened to meet up again in London. It was very clear that there was nothing in common with these people any more, just like the end of Trainspotting.

Re:

What Groovyshed describes above is the ubiquitous 'turning point' ... the place where those in the drug user/party crowd hopefully finally realize that the party eventually has to come to an end, and the partiers must then go quietly into the early morning hours to find their way back to a home, and reality/life.

Its not easy, because the party quickly becomes a pattern, and then pattern stealthily morphs into addiction. To be able to divorce one's self completely from all the players and contacts/patterns, then start a new life replete with challenges and dreams and goals and aspirations ... is probably the only solution to keep a person from falling right down into the irrecoverable murk of addiction/self destruction.

Its a very seductive trap.

Back