Downsizing - need help with my decision

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have little room, the need for upgrades and no money.
so, i feel there is little choice but to sell some stuff. killing 2 birds with one stone.

I have a full sus and a rigid bike.

i love my full sus, but the rigid is a good workhorse and i can switch to hardtail if i want to (have spare manitous). Both of which i have used to and from work recently.

however, i have little room for both (will have even less later on this year for several reasons).

so i think its time to get rid of one. But i just dont know if i should!

i'm leaning toward breaking and shifting the rigid. reason being - i've had it a while now and am getting a bit fed up with how shyte the roads round here are - its taking its toll on me!

i like the full sus, because its new to me, i have more fun riding it, but it is less practical when commuting. But i feel a few more upgrades may help with this comfort/practicality factor.

has anyone else made a decision like this recently?
what are the pros/cons of using a full sus for commuting?

your guidance and advice is always appreciated!

(my 2 bikes in question are in my build threads below)

i love both of them and have spent a lot of time on both projects, but i feel i need to deal with this now rather than wait until i have little choice later on and have to do something drastic and more painful! :S

I'd keep the rigid, it needs less maintenance, and will keep you and your skills sharper than the susser.....just to mess things up a little!... :roll:

Of the two bikes I'd keep the FSR but I doubt you'll get much for the other and so I'd look at other ways to keep both.

Is the need for upgrades a real one? or just a symptom of being on RB??

i could just dismantle one - keep the components and off load the frame. its the components i like more than anything on the rigid bike. i like my deore XT groupset :p

i'd like to keep both but space is an issue.....

my gut is to keep the FSR...if push came to shove, i would like to replace the Hardrock frame with something more steel like at some point in the future....
even thought of converting it to SS as i only ever use it to commute and its a flat route pretty much.

the FSR is comfy and i can take it out on the weekends ;)

Basically it depends on what you use a bike for most, If I was forced to cut down to one bike, It'd be my Expolsif without a doubt, the full suss, which is considerably newer 2007 compared to 1998 is great and is what I use off-road most, but my Explosif is just far more practical on road, coupled with the fact that it's still great fun off road means I'll never get rid of it. If you can only have one bike, I'd recommend keeping the hardtail, commuting on a full suss is a nightmare and a really nice one like yours would be sniffed out by 90% of the local tea leaves if it's locked up for more than about 30 seconds.

If you think you need full sus for the roads then man up :LOL: !

The hardtail is so much more versatile, so as 'one bike to rule them all' has to stay. Keep a spare set of wheels with slicks for road if you can.

"Keep a spare set of wheels with slicks for road if you can."

Just so! One bike, two sets of different wheels/tyres/cassette more versatile than two bikes - whatever the bounce - with identical roundy bits!

Back