Downgrading my ride, disc to v

I have had one moment, cycling back from work in pouring rain, where I was unpleasantly surprised by my brakes failing in traffic. Knowing that, I am now prepared. Disc brakes are just too much tech on a bicycle. The beauty of a bike is simplicity, I think.

Well, the industry doesn't quite see it your way.

In 2022 you are supposed to have a battery to change gear, a battery to propel yourself, shock absorbers, and hydraulics to stop. F\/CK knows what you are supposed to do as a rider when AI comes to the picture. I mean even a god damn toaster needs to be sold on the grounds of AI because it's superior and you can't possibly be without it and manage the task of putting a golden tinge to bread slice without a Cray supercomputer.

There was something about the fixie culture that warmed my heart, but of course, pop will eat itself, and the moment supermarkets offered fixes in ghastly load colours (did anyone actually ask for green rims?) it died a natural death. Hat's off to those that figured you could do much better butchering an old 6 speed or buying retro Italian stallions.

Am I ranting and rabbiting on about all sorts of bike shit?

Pay no attention. Move a long. Contents of my glass have evaporated again.

I don't kind fitting V's is down grading. Disc's are unnecessary for a 26er. They are over kill. Just a anther gimmick to sell. A 'must have' that you don't need to enjoy riding. When I got a frame with disc tabs I've cut them off and fitted V bosses. MTBing is the only hobby I've been interested in that is determined to kill off older systems.

I've found that most brakes once set will lock the rear wheel and stop the front to send you over. Which is overkill. No point in locking the rear as you just leave a long black line. And going over the front defeats the point. It's how well the brake modulates. Disc's just need a small touch which I find is just not needed when off road. Hence I use V's perfect balance between force needed to operate and stopping/slowing the wheel. In my experience

I mean even a god damn toaster needs to be sold on the grounds of AI because it's superior and you can't possibly be without it
Earlier this week my kid was trying to convince me of the merits of a "smart coffee table", was stunned that I couldn't understand the need. We never go anywhere without our devices, why on earth would we need devices inserted everywhere? As an aside, that is a question I have for the vaccine conspiracy folks. Why would they need to hide tracking devices in the shot? There's already one in your pocket.
Also on the subject of wet v brakes not working, I have proven that false with my own incompetence. I was riding pavement home from the urban trails and my rims were wet and messy. I attempted the above mentioned technique of lightly dragging the pads to scrub some crud from the braking surface. Lack of finesse in application of force caused the wet front brakes to lock up and I went over the bars.

Last edited:
Well, the industry doesn't quite see it your way.

In 2022 you are supposed to have a battery to change gear, a battery to propel yourself, shock absorbers, and hydraulics to stop. F\/CK knows what you are supposed to do as a rider when AI comes to the picture. I mean even a god damn toaster needs to be sold on the grounds of AI because it's superior and you can't possibly be without it and manage the task of putting a golden tinge to bread slice without a Cray supercomputer.

There was something about the fixie culture that warmed my heart, but of course, pop will eat itself, and the moment supermarkets offered fixes in ghastly load colours (did anyone actually ask for green rims?) it died a natural death. Hat's off to those that figured you could do much better butchering an old 6 speed or buying retro Italian stallions.

Am I ranting and rabbiting on about all sorts of bike shit?

Pay no attention. Move a long. Contents of my glass have evaporated again.

Feet spin pedal fast bike go fast vrooom

Make bike great again

Amen

Some TRP Spykes are in a box starring at me to pull my finger out and use them on a build, so can't comment on their use.

Avid BB7 were a massive disappointment for me (despite all the raving of how good they are, despite changing pads, despite changing levers, despite changing rotors, despite constant adjustment of this that and the other) so I sacked them off. Drove me nuts.
I run Spykes on my KHS (with Paul levers) because I was tired of dealing with hydraulic fluid leaks. They're strong enough and I like them but there's no way they can be adjusted to resemble the feel of a nice hydraulic disc. There's a relatively long throw to engagement and they don't feel as solid with cable stretch.

On topic - I've been looking for mountable brake studs for my 24" BMX project - thanks!

I run Spykes on my KHS (with Paul levers) because I was tired of dealing with hydraulic fluid leaks. They're strong enough and I like them but there's no way they can be adjusted to resemble the feel of a nice hydraulic disc. There's a relatively long throw to engagement and they don't feel as solid with cable stretch.

On topic - I've been looking for mountable brake studs for my 24" BMX project - thanks!
You going to give the porkchops a go?

I'm slowly going in the direction of putting more and more bmx components on my mtbs because its cheaper and sturdier

Back