Down tube shifters - band on to braze on convertor

jimfrandisco

Dirt Disciple
Apologies if this is common knowledge or asked before on here - generally new to vintage road components.

I have a shimano 600 arabesque group set that I'm planning to use.
The frame has braze ons for DTs, but the arabesque shifters are band on.
It's not as simple as just taking them off the band and looking around it seems there's such as thing as down tube shifter convertors that will let you mount band on on brazed on studs.

The link should show what I think I need

http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/2011/08/olmo-from-ice.html

Does anyone know where I can find these, is it possible to buy them - and will they do what I think they will?

Thanks

Jim

Hi,
If you haven't already run across this already, it may help you identity exactly what part(s) you need and the original part number to help search for it.

I think this type of concave washer, if this is what you are after, was used on some other shifters as well...

Attachments

• EV-SL-6200_6210_6220-0322E.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for that, looks like "brazed on axle cover for type A braze ons" (10) is what I'm after...now, where to find them!
Hopefully they'll be generic item for other Shimano brakes and not bespoke to 600 arabesque. Cheers

I've only encountered the clamp-on variety myself, but iirc, this washer was specific to a Shimano specific braze on.

The pic in the blog you linked to is using what looks like a different part (superficially like a standard Shimano indexing washer, but perhaps modified). Before you loose to much sleep or hair looking for the spec'd part, maybe check what sort of braze on you have.

I'm not 100% sure that the washer is actually functional. The key bit is usually a tab to stop the lever from rotating downwards from the top gear spot.
It might be worth dismantling the band-on and just offering the levers up to see whether it all works.

I think the washer is functional, in that it lines up the shifter in the right place, I've tried just using the lever on the braze ons and it doesn't fit correctly and wobbles about.
The braze ons in the exploded shimano diagram superficially looked the same as the ones I have on my frame, but there's more than one type of braze on and seems there are shimano specific braze-ons, which I think those 'type a' are.
So it might be that even with a washer, the shimano 600's simply won't fit to the braze ons I have.

I initially assumed all DT shifter braze ons were generic, but seems not to be the case.

But who wants to play a game with simple rules? :) The complexity is really one of the things that i love.
Until that missing piece is unobtainable or the unicorn's nob of a bolt is on the market for a small fortune

post a pic of the braze ons your frame has. if they are shimano a-type then the levers should fit right on, part 9 pf the a-type is essentially the same as parts 4 and 5 of the band type. part 10 pf the a-type I am pretty certain is just a chromed washer to cover the boss and make it look a bit nicer, giving the same effect as the later type shifters for "standard" frame bosses. this is basically an adaptor to convert "standard" bosses to the shimano a-type, which is what all shimano levers still use

Back