Do you use framesaver

I saw an Indian fella putting together a bike from aliexpress bits, ixf cranks and all, using wd40 and chain lube instead of grease. The whole thing. All the threads, in the bearings, unto the chain, probably coated the disc rotors as well

And I bet it will last longer than any of our bikes, with him aggressively riding it through the wilds of India, down dusty roads, into muddy depths of the rainforests

Take that with all your ceramic coatings and your high end coloured greases and your handlebars and your grips and your wheels

I am a simple man

Wd is water displacement, not oil or grease. Try acf50. Its anti corrosion spray. But even that will probably only form a cohesive barrier for a couple of years.

I use it when i winterise bikes or when customer bikes were left standing....bit on a rag is good enough to protect alloy for a winter...

I thought I'd ask our local framebuilder, as I wondered about this myself. He reckons rust inside tubes are not an issue, as long as there is a hole in the bracket.

I thought I'd ask our local framebuilder, as I wondered about this myself. He reckons rust inside tubes are not an issue, as long as there is a hole in the bracket.
I've heard a lot of stuff, different opinions. I was also of the belief that internal rust proofing isn't necessarily a requirement provided there's sufficient vent holes etc. Now that's not to say I don't think there could be benefits to using something along the lines of boiled linseed, but how marginal might the improvements be? I have heard of severely rusted through tubes, but that is after severe neglect and abandonment in the elements.

Doesn't seem like many on here practice internal rustproofing of frames.

Now just to talk up my beloved wd40, it is anti corrosive and have in tests successfully deterred rust better than boeshield as an example.

But wd dries up very quick...6 months and its basically gone.....

The answer is to make sure the frame is rust free, then not fill it full of water again!

But wd dries up very quick...6 months and its basically gone.....

The answer is to make sure the frame is rust free, then not fill it full of water again!
6 months that's better than I thought. It's a winner. I'd kiss you if I could Tooty, life affirming stuff.

As for wd's anti corrosion properties....sure test show....but lard would form an effective air barrier stopping rust too. So we going to push blocks of that into the frame ?

WD is fantastic at displacing water.....its in the name....but all the other stuff they list...you know....curing arthritic knees, alowing better penetration for artificial insemination, raising the dead.....is just marketing.

Back