Do I Need a New Chainring Set?

Re:

Cool bike, excellent frame, good choice, bargain!
Personally i'd keep the gripshift if working and rubber barrel grips are not perished or sticky.
Stem looks gay but ok, comfort is more important. But get an original Marin stem as a spare - do a bit back flexibility exercise and ride more, then you'll probably be fine after a few weeks to ride with original stem (which looks much better frankly).
I recommend swapping to rigid fork if you ride mostly on roads. Riding feel, handling, steering will be much improved, razor sharp handling. Look out for original Marin Rockstar fork, check ebay they come up often. Make sure steerer length of any replacement fork is correct for your frame size (you'll have to do a little bit of research or measuring..).
Check my sig below for another Pine Mountain budget rebuild.
Actually you have the chance to look for original Marin stem and fork in matching colours which would look nice, a different colour from the frame wouldn't matter at all, would look great.
As mentioned previously don't worry too much about the chainrings at this stage, just make sure your chain isn't worn. Get a ruler and measure the length of 24 link pivots (along the bottom length of chain where the derailleur holds it in a bit of tension). From centre of pivot 1 to centre of pivot 24 would be exactly 12 inches on a new chain. Up to 1/16" (one sixteenth inch - usually one notch on a typical ruler) of 'stretch' is acceptable but more than this is too much. If anywhere near 2/16" then your chain is totally toast. Buy a Shimano or KMC chain, don't waste your time with unbranded chains.

Re: Re:

The History Man":1ilki6v3 said:
Where are you?

Right here.

I got my bike back from its service today. The wheels and gears have been sorted. They're as smooth as silk. But there's slight play in the cassette. He recommended new wheels, but said the ones I have are pretty good (for their age). I like them. I was wondering if I could find new bearings or just a 32-hole hub and have that fitted instead. I'll keep my eye out on internet marketplaces.
I'm really keen to get going again tomorrow. I'd like to do Peterborough to Stamford and back for around 27 miles with hills... Well, I call them hills. Someone from Yorkshire wouldn't consider them to be even slopes.

Latest posts

Back