Do I need a front mech cable roller?

Good question on the links, often people confuse link and link pair.

What I mean is lengthen the chain by an outer plus an inner. If you are using a quick link to join, then the rear mech will often run a little sweeter in big-big (especially with shortish chainstays like a Clockwork) if you add an extra outer/inner pair. Remove the extra pair if the chain is poorly supported in small small - often the cage rotates so far that the top jockey sits unhappily in small-small.

The instructions for setting up a chain (and who rear and front end drivetrain) are in the Archive under Shimano in their tech docs or if a quick link then it's kmc/SRAM instruction fro teh chain, but they are the same just with a quick link for the outer plate.
I assumed you meant as two link and not take two links :facepalm:

The wheel is there as it is either a circa1992 frame and top mechs were not really out, or if later it is really needed. A Top-Swing mech gives you a nicer cable route if your frame allows it to be fitted.
I've found problems with 737(9?) mech too, think a new one I fitted was a bugger and always snapped back quickly hrowing the chain off the granny and could jam up similar to what you are saying. Might be a mech design flaw in certain setups.
I'll check my bike when it is near me.
I would say it's grinding on the metal cable outer causing it to be stiffer than it should be.

The b-tension should only be used to adjust the distance from the large cog, you alter it to make it as close to the cog but not touching as you like. It is there to optimise your shifting for your setup.

It is not used for any other reason or 'bodge' to fix somthing. Find the problem casuing you to bodge it.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around wrapping the chain around big/big then subtracting 2 links.

Top routed cables were a trade-off. A bottom pull fr. der. will always have an easier pull. Better mechanical advantage. Use the roller. Plus, rollers are like rear brake cable mounts. If your frame has them, you must use them. It's a rule. It's on the same page as the rule forbidding bar ends on riser bars.

Cheers, got a wanted ad up for the mech and roller as I think this will be a better solution. It's a 92 frame I believe and very small so there's not much space between the cable stop and the mech anyway.

Just need to finish off the respray of the bb/stay frame repair I discovered when cleaning it and I'll start to put it all back together. Hopefully I can get a mech and roller sorted quickly.

Back