Do I have the fastest GT Tequesta......

JamesM":3dlexs8z said:
....... there's a cattle grid too which I bunny hopped at near 50mph ............
See them mines they used to use at sea? Big round things with detonator spike things on them? That's your ballls, that is............
icon_salut.gif

I had a look at it on multimap, noticed the coo grid..........bloody hate them, certainly on a road bike, on a mountain bike still a bit iffy. Don't know why, maybe just in the blood.......
*thinks about it whilst chewing cud.......nips outside for a quick graze...* :p

I want tae try silly speed doonhill road bikey nonsense!! :D
In my younger days, this was the best we had:
ST-Abbs-light.jpg

Track up to St Abbs lighthoose on scotland- not really very long, but ye never got traffic on it. Nasty left hand turn that would take you into the sea if ye hadn't slowed enough- though it's ok, ye wouldn't drown.

The impacts with the jaggy cliff on the way down would kill you first.

No water, it was a lovely sunny day. That computer was pukka and calibrated to within 0.1% I reckon. When calibrating it I even lent on the bars as much as I would when riding the bike so the tyre would have the same amount of delfection!!! I did it a couple of times and they were both within a couple of mm of each other. ;)

The one I have now is wireless and its pants. It picks up interference almost every where I go. I regularly clock max speed readings of over 120mph on that piece of.............

Earlier this year I borrowed my mates road bike and road down to Lyme Regis. Although my average speed was higher over the whole journey than the previous year on the Tequesta, I was no where near as fast on the down hills. Going down the hill that I clocked 50.3 on last year (A35:cool:, I only managed 40 ish on the road bike. At speeds like that MTB's on slicks just (to me anyway) feel alot more stable. Plus your not worried about small pot holes and such like. Also the road bike wasn't made by GT and as we all know GT's have the magic!!!

The other strange thing I noticed about about riding a road bike was that other road bike persons waved at me and some even said hello. Not only that but when I saw people on non road bikes I felt that they weren't proper cyclist and so not worthy of a wave or a nod :LOL:

Way back in the dim, dark days of 1993 I hit 52mph on the section of road between the red lines on the picture below, it's the coast road that runs down into the Cuckmere valley in Sussex. Funny thing is it looks pretty much flat when viewed from space!

I wasn't wearing a helmet and maybe not even gloves - in bed that night I was suddenly overwhelmed by delayed fear at the thought of what would have become of me if I'd crashed. It remains the fastest I have ever been on a bike.

I was riding a KLEIN though, not a GT, I bet I could hit 60mph on my Xizang if i was still stupid enough to try!

exceatcopy.jpg

mechagouki":vhks50p6 said:
Way back in the dim, dark days of 1993 I hit 52mph on the section of road between the red lines on the picture below, it's the coast road that runs down into the Cuckmere valley in Sussex. Funny thing is it looks pretty much flat when viewed from space!

I wasn't wearing a helmet and maybe not even gloves - in bed that night I was suddenly overwhelmed by delayed fear at the thought of what would have become of me if I'd crashed. It remains the fastest I have ever been on a bike.

Way back in 1998 I came of this same Tequesta at around 40mph on the road. Shorts and a t-shirt, no crash helmet. I was just out for a nice road ride on a sunny day; I only used to wear my hemet off road back then (Bell Quest with a neon yellow stripe ;) ). It was on a road I'd ridden dozens of times before, quite narrow and down hill, obviously.

I was holding the bars from underneath with my palms facing up because that way my elbows were more tucked in. A car coming the other way put me off my game and I got to close to the hedge. I looked down at my left hand and watched as it dissapeared into the hedge. From that moment on all I saw was green, grey, blue, green, grey, blue etc. followed by tweety birds :LOL: . I rode the 12 miles home with a buckled back wheel a torn saddle and some bumps on my head and less skin than when i started my ride. When I got home I retired the bike to the loft. I didn't ride a bike again that year and it was 9 years before the Tequesta saw the light of day again when I rebuilt it as a commuter road training bike stylee thing.

Back