DNA Titanium MTB.

Griffster

Retro Newbie
Hello folks,
I've don't think I've ever actually posted before, although I've been a lurker for quite a while. Anyhow...

I have a DNA Titanium MTB I built way back in '96-'97ish and although I've been through a couple of other bikes since, have always kept this one, because it was "special". :D
Unfortunately family/space/money have conspired against me keeping her any longer (the bike, not the wife).
I'm thinking of sticking it on eBay and wondered what you folk thought?

There's been a few components changed during that time, so when funds were tight, whatever I could get my hands on.
The stem (the original was a Titanium DNA prototype - I still have it).
The Saddle - Thats was an original Flight Titanium - jolly uncomfy!
Granny ring.
Cassette (The original was a DNA Titanium prototype).
Other than these, it's original.

Here's the rest of the spec:-
DNA "TUBE" 3AL/2.5 Titanium frame. I bought this frame directly from Giles at DNA, is was one of their production prototypes - So it's slightly different from most of them. It was fitted with a Canti boss, where the factory runs didn't have one.
Forks:- AMP F3 - In good condition, damper needs oil. I have the service manual.
Headset - FSA.
Front Wheel:- Mavic CrossLand - A great wheel and has never needed truing.
Rear Wheel:- Mavic 217SUP DB Spokes, Hope Hub. Great condition, I have a spare set of bearings and the service manual.
Ti Skewers, I don't recall the brand.
Brakes - XTR V Brakes. Cheapie Shimano levers (They could do with changing).
Bars:- Qranc.
Drivetrain:-
Cassette - Shimano 6spd HG
Can't remember chain
Crank - Shimano XT. Middleburn rings
Rear Mech - SRAM 7.0 (Originally a 9.0 until one of the pins dropped out).
Front Mech - XTR.
Seatpost - RACEFACE
Saddle - WTB

The current weight is about 23lbs/10.5kg but it was noticeably lighter in it's original spec.
Soooo... I was just wondering what you folks thought I should be asking for it?

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpeg
    DSC_0003.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • DSC_0004.jpeg
    DSC_0004.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSC_0007.jpeg
    DSC_0007.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC_0009.jpeg
    DSC_0009.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,105
  • DSC_0012.jpeg
    DSC_0012.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,104
  • DSC_0015.jpeg
    DSC_0015.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC_0022.jpeg
    DSC_0022.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSC_0028.jpeg
    DSC_0028.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,105
Re:

Hi folks,

I'm starting to think that perhaps it's worth less than I originally expected. :cry: So I think I'll stick it on eBay and
hope that it gets a bit of interest. It's a bit of a shame as it was such a sweet ride.

Oh the joys of running the eBay gauntlet! :roll:
Wish me luck.

Cheers
Sean :D

Re:

Hello
Any chance you could run the tape over its vital stats?
Centre B/B to top of seat tube...centre to centre top tube...headtube length...also centre B/B to centre of top tube.
I am 5'9" usually on a 17" so it maybe a bit of a stretch.
Cheers

Re:

Hi Cookie,

Yes, I don't know how I forgot to add that info. The news is good, it's a 17" frame. Here's some of the stats for you.

Seat tube length, Centre BB to Centre of top tube = 17" (430)
Seat tube length, Centre BB to top of seat tube = 19" (485)
Top tube length (Centre head tube to centre top of seat tube) = 22 1/2 (570)
Cainstay = 17" (430)
Headtube = 4 1/2" (115).

I'll nip over to the eBay listing and update that too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DNA-TUBE-TITA ... 25a00ee354

Cheers
Sean

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Sean, nice bike but if your after maximum profit splitting would be your best friend and offer the parts for sale on here using prices based on a little research of previously sold similar items.

Saves eBay fees and idiots ;)

Thanks Guru, do you think so? I hadn't really considered it. OK, I'll do some searching on the FS forum to see how splitting changes the landscape. Thanks for your help!

Re:

Top work fella
I see you have a bid on Fleabay now.
I will check stats against my current ride and see how it stacks up.
Ta for the info and GLWS...sure it will get some interest.

I was watching this one on eBay with great interest. Went above my budget in the end though.

Hi Mik,

It went for around the figure I was expecting, given the time of month and that it was sold as a complete bike. Mindfreak is totally correct, of course, I would probably have attracted a bit more if I'd split, and the eBay fees are a nightmare. The lucky buyer has been brilliant, which is nice. Thanks for your interest, and sorry you didn't win it.
I took it for a little ride into the village and back before I packed it all up. "sniff".

Ebay in general is proving to be a huge PIA at the moment. I'm flogging literally heaps of stuff I have at home (not bike related, sorry folks), and if there aren two areas which attract more idiots than anywhere else, its Mobile Phones and DJ kit (well, a couple of Technics turntable related items). People don't read the descriptions and don't seem to understand that if they win it's a binding deal.
The fees though are killing me! Do others have much success on Gumtree?

Back