Disc Brakes and V-Brakes

Just need the name of the adaptor...

By the way, although it is being used as a commuter bike, once done up properly it will be used cross-country (during the holidays).

legrandefromage":7022rrf7 said:
I love that picture - your bike appears to have taken a dump on the floor expelling all manner of equipment.

When one of my bikes last took a crap, I found a NOS M730 crankset still in the wrapper...

That has to be one of the best "home mechanic" picture's ever, I love the fact the bike is on its own piece of wood to ensure the tyres dont leave any mess :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Such a shame the tool box exploded :p

This picture has made my day

I would leave the rear as V brake and put a avid BB7 up front, I would say its the best cable operated disc brake about, lots of ajustment and so easy to maintain. Should fit onto your forks as they have IS and Post mount and will work with std V brake levers.

Hello, why would you recommend I keep the rear v-brake and change the front to an avid disc brake? I'm just interested to know why people are saying what they are!

I've taken the rear v-brake apart and just can't see why when I test it out to make sure the adjustments have worked that it does not open up again afterwards, the blocks stick to the wheel.

Love this thread - that pic has made my day.

It looks as if you are someone who might bugger about with bits of the bike - have you had the brake off & not put it back together correctly - the spring locates in the frame to give leverage - if not located correctly the spring will not pull the blocks away from the rim.

Have a read on Sheldon Brown - that will tell you how to adjust the screws on the side to get the blocks in the correct position - providing the brake & spring is fitted correctly in the first place.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-adjustment.html

Sheepdisease":1qt2ieup said:
Hello, why would you recommend I keep the rear v-brake and change the front to an avid disc brake? I'm just interested to know why people are saying what they are!

I've taken the rear v-brake apart and just can't see why when I test it out to make sure the adjustments have worked that it does not open up again afterwards, the blocks stick to the wheel.

I have suggested as it will be lot of hassle to convert the rear to disc when a decent V-brake set up correcly on the rear will be more than enough, Disc brake on the front is fine as most of your braking at speed will be on the front , unless you are ino pulling skids :LOL:

Your rear brake could be being restricted by the booster you have, have you tried without it ?If its totally shot I would bin it and get another rear V brake. You can pick up a good XT or even XTR v brake for £15 max on ebay or here in the for sale section and will out perform the one you have in picture.

Back