Disc Brakes and V-Brakes

If you have the cash ditch the V's and lever/shifter combo's and get some new shifters then some maguras, Next best thing to disc brakes and once set up they will be maintenance free for a good number of years.

Thank you all for your help.

How much are you talking about to get the replacements you suggested?

How do I tell which brake levers I have?

The cables are about a year old.

if the brake does not return to its original position then its possible the springs need bending back to give some more oomph, or that they brake pivots are sticking or maybe your cable doesnt run very free and so is sticking on.

I think people are suggesting sticking with the V at the back as it is the simplest solution (rather than having to get adaptors) and changing to discs because you cant get the rear V dialled in seems a bit drastic and expensive. Surely its cheaper to get it looked at by your LBS? Also, most braking effort is done by the front, so thats where you need the power (of say a disc brake). If you can lock a tyre up then you can't brake any harder as the limiting factor is the tyres grip on the road/trail.

It must be frustrating for you to have had all this advice and a service at the bike shop and still have a problem, but the basic fact is that XTR V-brakes with boosters is a powerful system and should be giving you all the braking you need if it’s set up properly.

It sounded in the beginning as though your rear brake just wasn’t set up properly. If it has no spring in it or won’t move, it’s either because the spring bars aren’t in the right place or the pivots have locked solid and need fettling. If after fettling they still won’t pivot, they’re probably shot and the brake needs replacing. But if you’ve had the bike serviced since then, I can’t believe any bike shop would let you have the bike back in that condition.

If the brakes are centred and sprung now, but you’re just experiencing weak braking, it could be caused by a number of things (but XTR Vs not being up to the job isn’t one of them) - possible causes:

1. your levers are shot, play in the bushes whatever – you haven’t said what levers they are or how old
2. your cables
3. worn-out pads
4. worn-out rims – old rims can flex so much the brakes have nothing to hold onto
5. brakes set up too far from rims, perhaps because your rims need truing

Basically those brakes should work, it’s just a case of checking each of these things is right.

re:

This week I have been riding Magura Julies hydraulic brakes, and they are pretty good. But not so good, it would convince me to switch from v-brakes, and I acctually due to the high price for xtr v's right now, bought some cheap shimanos that looks like avids but was like 20euros for a set, they work great! My bike is a modern carbon fiber race bike, with cheap brakes...

there is an adapter that works great on GT's A2DZ or something it's called. but your frame won't like the power of discs so don't bother with it! get your current setup sorted insteed!

Back