diamond back klunker COMPLETED, PAGE 5

Cream

Black parts

Cream tyres

I dare you to put dave on the downtube . In black of course , sign written style font .

Try slate grey frame forks and rims. Moustache bars dropped the wrong way round, brown Brooks with springs, leather bar tape and big cream tyres :cool: :cool: :cool:

lewis1641":161ojo10 said:
Cheers guys. I think the paint is going to be matt brown mainly with matt or possibly gloss cream diamonds a la jimmyhendrix first paintjob.
As for forks, good idea ed- they look spot on. Would also suit bmx or motorbike style bars. If i do go down the triple clamp or upside down route then i'm going for a cafe racer look with upside down cruiser bars.
As for flames pickle-it would suite it i think but i'm not talented enough for it not to look pants (as in y fronts, not trousers for the benefit of our transatlantic cousins)
Brakes- if i'm going fixed then on brakes if coaster then i'll just risk it with the rear.
Looking forward to this one

A paint scheme ive always fancied trying is a brown colour matched to UPS delivery vans then with gold decals again UPS style. always thought it would look cool on a single speed, but possibly even better on a clunker

ups_hydralic_1.jpg

(best pic of a UPS van i could find)

at the risk of getting all tintin on the thread, that looks great, bike aint bad either.

it does look good but possibly a bit clean for what i have in mind.

ups bike could be interestig.

perry - i'm not calling my bike dave - half the town will claim him

the postman has been busy and i have made a few decisions.

the saddle has arrived but like the numpty i am i have ordered a green one. crc will exchange it but the green one is in the sale and i cant afford the black or brown. had a word with my cobbler friend (who was amazed with the quality of the saddle) and he said it could be died but it will rub off on my arse eventually. i really dont like the idea of something rubbing off on my arse... :shock:

so the saddle stays.

the schwable cream tyres have arrived and they look spot on.

found some matt brown in a rattle can last night so i THINK i am following my initial thoughts and going matt brown. i have ordered a can of matt lacquer too otherwise it is going to be a pain to keep clean.

i have also been looking at hot rod and model(as in scale, not people) websites for tips on how to achieve a weathered look. initially i wanted a colour change but then to make the frame look a bit rusty. having seen the picture above that dr.s posted i am thinking i might keep it clean. i can always add the patina at a later stage if i think it needs it.

i am going to copy jimmyhendrix and run pit bike bars.my mate has some in his garden (he is ever so house proud) so i am going to liberate them. i doubt he'll notice. he didnt notice the 92 gt karakoram i liberated either...

i think i have a solution for the forks too although it might prove to be an ugly one, i think it is a good idea.

i have a 1" threaded crown and steerer in the shed. it has bolts to secure the fork legs too. i have just been on ebay and bought a schwinn stingray fork - straight blades and triangular drop outs so it is the look i am after. i plan to chop the brake mounts off and paint them to match the frame, crown included.

the only big downer thus far really is the saddle. forks could ruin it but they could also make it a bit more interesting butr we'll see.

oh, i need a short 1" quill stem with a bolt on face plate. are bmx's 1" generally?

Why not paint the bike to match the saddle, if the saddle is dark green maybe do dark green spears on the front.

For a weathered look just do a thin top coat of paint over a thick base layer then go over it with a Scotchbrite pad, do a base colour like grey or black then the brown top coat (cream would be ace though) then Scothchbrite the top coat untill bits of the base coat show through.

Cant remember if i mentioned in my thread but the motorcycle bars need a shim, easily made up with a bit of seatpost or something similar, easier to mount them with a front plate stem though.

i'll sort a shim

i could go cream/green on the frame with the brown inderneath.

leave it good for a while then weather it if i fancy it. could get expensive finding matt paint or do i do it gloss then matt lacquer??

Back