Deore lx rear hub problem

It's not so much the speed but the strain on the hub from, eg, acceleration from standstill. With an electric assistant, this is far more than pedal power alone. Maintaining 25kmh is not the issue, it's going from 0 to 25.

But again, this is only an issue with mid motors. Hub motors, front of rear, avoid this issue. Although i'm sure they have quirks of their own...
It is pedal assist so hopefully this should relieve the strain ?

It is pedal assist so hopefully this should relieve the strain ?
I assume you have a mid motor, so unfortunately, no, pedal assist won't relieve the strain on the rear hub. The hub will get the combination of electric motor and pedal power.

If it's a front hub motor, then the rear isn't under more strain anyway, it would probably be under less since you won't have to pedal as hard. and it can't be a rear hub motor since we are talking about a rear LX hub :)

I assume you have a mid motor, so unfortunately, no, pedal assist won't relieve the strain on the rear hub. The hub will get the combination of electric motor and pedal power.

If it's a front hub motor, then the rear isn't under more strain anyway, it would probably be under less since you won't have to pedal as hard. and it can't be a rear hub motor since we are talking about a rear LX hub :)
Yeah it’s a mid drive only 250 w tho ! I must admit so far it’s cost me a new chain , cassette and now possibly a new back wheel ! It’s a bit disappointing because these are things companies don’t tell you when you buy the kits ! Any suggestions on bullet proof rear wheels please ?

Yeah it’s a mid drive only 250 w tho ! I must admit so far it’s cost me a new chain , cassette and now possibly a new back wheel ! It’s a bit disappointing because these are things companies don’t tell you when you buy the kits ! Any suggestions on bullet proof rear wheels please ?
Don't forget tires and brake pads, they will go faster too! Sorry :) it's all a big package.

we have a pedalec cargo bike, and sure, the momentum is huge, especially when loaded. But the whole system is really wear prone, and it was designed around a high torque motor.

On the plus side, it prompted me to finally overcome my stubbornness and learn a new skill--disc brake maintenance--and a justification/excuse for a new torque wrench to cover that "critical" 12nm to 20nm gap :)

Don't forget tires and brake pads, they will go faster too! Sorry :) it's all a big package.

we have a pedalec cargo bike, and sure, the momentum is huge, especially when loaded. But the whole system is really wear prone, and it was designed around a high torque motor.

On the plus side, it prompted me to finally overcome my stubbornness and learn a new skill--disc brake maintenance--and a justification/excuse for a new torque wrench to cover that "critical" 12nm to 20nm gap :)
Thanks for getting back 👍

And just bin what might be a perfectly good wheel that just needs servicing? If the problem is that ordinary hubs are unsuitable for the extra force, and accompanying acceleration, generated by the motor then what's to stop the problem reoccurring?

By the time you’ve spent money and time servicing the old one it’s £20 well spent. If the same occurs you know you need a different solution.

Back