Dents and dings

Yes, using brazing is probably safer than weld, less chance of burning holes through the thin metal, but what has to be remembered, is what you are actually doing when heating the frame to a temperature that will melt bronze. What type of heat treating are you undoing and what are you doing now by heating the metal. Bonded frames, you could unglue the ends or degrade the adhesive so much as to make the frame unsafe in use etc.

If you are going to use heat to effect a repair, think carefully first, you could be causing untold structural damage for want of a cosmetic repair.

Best just to fill it with cold filler, sand and repaint.

Solder, yeah why not, but heating would be a problem, the rest of the frame would heat sink the area you were trying to heat. I know, use that two part epoxy putty, the stuff that comes with metal flakes in it, available from car accessory shops. Not bad stuff actually, I have used it to repair many low stress jobs. Once dry, it can be drilled, sanded, machined , the finish once smoothed is not bad either, maybe powdercoat will stick to that stuff due to the metal content, low density, but it has metal content.

Another two part epoxy is milliput, available from model and craft shops, porcelain milliput is the finest, and what a finish that gives, good for repairing plastics and yes, porcelain and china, hard wearing too, repaired some chipped bone china with it, and the repair survived hot fluids, and the general knocking about crockery gets.

Another milliput is terracota, good for repairing terracota, the finish is rougher.

There is a general purpose milliput, but I don't know about that one.

Anyone ever tried the dry ice (the smoke from smoke machines stuff) method of dent removal? You hold dry ice on the dent and it pops out due to the cold? I've been meaning to try it but haven't found a source of dry ice.

If anyone knows where I can get some I'll buy it and report back.

lumos2000":3ukkw9gs said:
big.eck your avatar is very distracting :oops:

It's actually pretty crude and tacky. I don't need to have some skank's crotch staring back at me from my computer monitor while I'm at work. Unless it's a picture of your own crotch, or you're warped enough to put a picture of your wife's out on the web, I'm not sure I understand the point. Don't you have a nice picture of a tree or something? :p :roll:

Dr.Robotnik":2oe81gkm said:
lumos2000":2oe81gkm said:
try a co2 fire extinguisher

Is that the same stuff? And won't that be expensive?

I would be interested to know if the CO2 or dry ice method works. Just in case I do get a dent, but my last Saracen never got one despite hitting a dry stone wall side on. The XT thumbie got dented though, the LH one, oh and my vetta helmet got smashed. I don't expect any dents, but you never know.

Back