Dent free Dave Yates Barn find, with issues (Pg5)

Re:

I'd hazard an educated guess that the tubing is Columbus Max OR, I would also suggest you send a photo as well as frame number to Dave, as his records are a bit haphazard and I think you'd have a better chance getting some info from the photo. I would also ask at the same time how much to replace the seat tube, most places it would be around £110 plus paint and it's the paint that's the tricky bit.

If it is any comfort, I paid proper money for a Beez Neez frame that had suffered some damage to the top and down tubes. I was told had been repaired.... it hadn't. :facepalm: I passed the frame on FOC as the repair cost would have been more than the frame was worth. It is the risk we take cherishing these old bikes of ours.

Re: Dave Yates Barn find ?? .......or a turd wearing Pace forks

I agree, losing that smoke paint would be such a shame. I'd get it stripped down, decreased and cleaned then a thorough inspection for further issues. Then give it a good polish and weigh up your options :)

Yep, clean it up and weigh up your options. Still an immense find tho. :).

It will damage a bit of the paintwork, but a competent tradesman could sort that right out. Stripping and painting something standard, you might as wel weld a disc brake mount on the back and fill it full of modern gearing. The paint along with the rest of the spec, thats original, are part of the era and ethos of the bike and rider.

A great find and a really great project. :cool:

I would agree that losing the gears from a low end standard, that was probably there for the simple reeason that it did the job, no frills. Much like LX/XT/XTR. LX is pretty much the same only heavier but more robust. Someone who rides their bike a lot might choose something less expensive, given he knows it will get hammered.
So Mr Gunn, if it was an occasional rider, might well have dressed it in more exotic spec :? imho
No harm in doing that now :D But keeping the elements of the bike that are unique to the time, and redreessing it in the exotic or higher end spec of the time.

Re:

Proper gutted for you there...

Saying that you should give yourself credit for sparing it from the tip, no matter what route you take. There's already some great advice here.

Good luck matey :)

Re:

Thats a pity :(

If it fits you and you want a quality dose of British Steel for what will still be not a lot of dosh then I'd get some quotes for a repair/refurb back to spec - there are people around who could do that paint job again. Guessing about £400 to do it right +/-.

Component wise its just the odd bit here and there to get it right.

Dibs on the PACE forks if you split :p ;)

Sorry to see that, nothing worse, and it does happen to the best of us.

I really feel it is worth repairing though. And given it was built for racing the paint would be the last of my worries.

Get it repaired if funds allow, i would. Max is worth it.

And if Not let me know. :cool:

Sorry to see that... but as you say, it's cost you next to nothing so far. Worthy of a repair I'd have thought. If it can be kept to localised re-paint even better... but either way, it's still a lovely frame-set :)

Re:

Gutting :shock:

Fix it and make a feature of the battle scars. Keep that paint or as much as you can.

Re:

New correct spec seat tube and a paint job by DY. I wouldn't be worried about preserving the paint (in this instance)

Back