Dell computers - are they any good?

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I keep reading nightmare stories about Dell, crap customer service, computers crashing due to conflicts of pre-installed software, Dell not taking any responsibility for faulty products etc etc....

I really like the look of their Studio XPS 8100 desktop, the one with the Intel Core i7 processor. But the nightmare stories put me off ever dealing with the company.

The staple PC of most business customers, we use them.
Never had trouble with the customner service, they even visited a mate and swapped his motherboard at home.

Don't know the model you're looking at, sounds quite high end.
The lower end stuff uses pretty much Dell's proprietary PSU, Motherboard, drive fittings etc.

Most manufacturers include all manner of junk software you really don't need, but then it's easily uninstalled.

I'm using a Dell laptop now, about 5 years old and never missed a beat.

Our company has just replaced it's previous PCs with Dells over the last couple of years (and I mean a LOT of them). We support them and haven't had any major issues at all :).

A large company like Dell would obviously see many complaints simply because of the number of computers they sell. But if you take ther number of complaints v number of happy customers i can't see the ratio being any different to any other computer brand.

Most large companies have contracts with Dell.

They are the Ford of computers. Mass produced and cheap and you do get some duffers now and then.

Had em for 11 years with work - they get replaced every 2 or 3 years:

This laptop: keyboard, HDD failed, case rattly from new.
Previous: 3 motherboards failed, 2 PSU recalls.
Before that: 4 fans, HDD
Before that: perfect

The McDonalds of laptops.

Typing this on a Dell laptop, the HDD went pop very quickly, not really Dell's fault as it was another manufacturers product. The customer service was excellent though, and within a few days my buggered HDD and been collected and a new one delivered at the same time. Not had a problem since then, with this laptop or our home computer. I think Dell's reliability 'problems' are the same as Toyotas - they sell millions so a few are bound to go wrong, but in the grander scheme of things are normally reliable. And good value too!

I have 25+ Dell's. Very happy with reliability and the FEW times we needed support it was taken care of quickly.

I will continue to buy Dell computers.

Latest posts

Back