Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep a Ridgid

• Keep a Hardtail

• Keep a Full sus

• Total voters
I'd hang on to them for a while if I were you, as it's probably too early to make a decision either way.

My twin brother had a type of bone cancer a few years ago and after several months of chemotherapy and an operation to remove the top half of the fibula in his right leg, plus two more operations over the next two years, thankfully he has fully recovered.

And despite having slightly less bones than most people he still rides about 60 to 70 miles a week commuting, and is doing the London Marathon in April.
No-one could ever have predicted that 5 years ago, especially as he smoked and didn't really do much exercise at all before the cancer.

The human body has an incredible capacity to adapt and overcome.

So as I say, hang on to the bikes if you can, for inspiration while you're recovering.

All the best
Paul

Depends on what bikes are in your collection :D Are they rare or easily replaced if you make a good recovery,I would personnaly keep the ones that mean something to me and sell the rest.
Hope you make a full and swift recovery :D

orange71":1rtjddg6 said:
can you not use the bikes to aid your physical recovery?

The accident smashed part of my throat and caved in 4 ribs on the top of my chest so breathing has been hampered most of all.
I can do gentle excercise but can only breathe in about 2 3rds of the way in until it feels like my chest is exploding:(

that's not good mate! i think it's probably too early for you to know if yr going to recover further or not. i had a motorbike accident a couple of yrs ago & my shoulder still hurts!!

personally (as long as you can afford to) i'd stick the bikes up in the loft for a year & if i still hadn't fully recovered by then i'd choose my favourite bike to keep & use on those days when i felt up for a good blast :cool:

think it'll be a sad day when i don't own a single bike, no matter how little use that bike may get when i'm a lot more clacky than i am now :roll:

good luck with the recovery dude.

Hope you get back to your old self soon as :D .
You can greatly help yourself by drinking large amounts of Guinness,this ive been told by other injured bikers, is an essential part of the recovery process.
:D

dyna-ti":3z6wv4is said:
You can greatly help yourself by drinking large amounts of Guinness,this ive been told by other injured bikers, is an essential part of the recovery process.
:D

And end up 23 stone too ;)

Bikes stripped, Frames all wrapped up, Kit bagged up...

.... Everything has gone into storage :(

Ive decided to give it another 12 months before clearing everything out.

Look, I've been struggling for the last eight months with a back problem that won't go. Your back is a complex entity: once the balance is broken an endless series of problems that a person old enough to be a retrobiker usually has present all at once. Not to discourage you, but recovering takes a lot of time.
If you aren't "sentimentally connected" to your bikes just ebay the lot.
On the other hand, a retrobiker is usually a sentimental freak. That's why my bikes are still in the garage.
I've voted for ebay, tho..
Best luck

Bummer mate - easy to throw everything away after events like that.
Broke my leg while back in an incident involving a Z1000J and a pillar box :oops:
Took bloomin' ages to get strength back after months in plaster.

Whatever you do - keep at least one so you can spin out for a while on hot sunny afternoons & evenings, nothing strenuous but it keeps yer parts moving and you never know, might just improve recovery :p

novekili":u6ctz3lz said:
Look, I've been struggling for the last eight months with a back problem that won't go. Your back is a complex entity: once the balance is broken an endless series of problems that a person old enough to be a retrobiker usually has present all at once. Not to discourage you, but recovering takes a lot of time.
If you aren't "sentimentally connected" to your bikes just ebay the lot.
On the other hand, a retrobiker is usually a sentimental freak. That's why my bikes are still in the garage.
I've voted for ebay, tho..
Best luck

Thanks for the vote of confidence :LOL: I'm actually 32 so not too old to ride and its not a back injury I have got.
If I do decide to ebay them then it will be posted on here first but as the general view is to store them, I'll do that first.
At least if they are all boxed up in the attic I wont be looking at them, they wont get damaged and they dont get in the way.
Some of the bits and pieces I have would be hard to replace so I think I'll be reviewing the situation in 12 months or so.
Current financial climate isnt the best one to get top dollar for anything at the moment either.
So maybe its bet to store for a while anyway.

Back