De Rosa MTB - full campag - rare as anything I’ve ever seen

Re:

sinnerman":1kaiah9p said:
id like someone to give me a bit more info on Campagnolo of its time, im 30 years in and still cant get my head round it. So many parts shared across the groupsets, its as clear as mud to me. Icarus and Record OR share so much it seems.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... g.pdf.html

Campag catalogues aren't entirely reliable as the parts sometimes contradict the catalogue spec's. But essentially Icarus groupset uses the same Record OR front mech, thumbshifters, chain and cassette. I'm not sure about the seatpost..

Although the brake levers are also listed as being Record, I've only ever seen the rubber coated levers (BL-02ICTB) supplied in Icarus groupsets (or on Icarus equipped bikes)

Re: Re:

sinnerman":3chz00xx said:
Ah I see, I always thought the two compact cranksets were the same, along with the brakes etc, I did wonder about the finish
The Record OR crank has a different spider design to Icarus. Also better quality BB.

Icarus was often supplied with the standard 110bcd crank featured in the 93 catalogue in the Centaur groupset. However in 92 the catalogue showed this crank as Icarus! http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/BikeHi ... gnolo.html
You can see how inconsistent and confusing Campag could be!

In the first couple of years Record canti's had a more sophisticated pivot system than Icarus, using a kind of thrust-washer adjustment. This was later abandoned (due to manufacturing costs?) and Record then used the simpler Icarus versions, but with a new brake pad mounting design. The early model Record canti's are superb brakes

Re: Re:

ferrus":2flfvuzr said:
sinnerman":2flfvuzr said:
Ah I see, I always thought the two compact cranksets were the same, along with the brakes etc, I did wonder about the finish
The Record OR crank has a different spider design to Icarus. Also better quality BB.

Icarus was often supplied with the standard 110bcd crank featured in the 93 catalogue in the Centaur groupset. However in 92 the catalogue showed this crank as Icarus! http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/BikeHi ... gnolo.html
You can see how inconsistent and confusing Campag could be!

In the first couple of years Record canti's had a more sophisticated pivot system than Icarus, using a kind of thrust-washer adjustment. This was later abandoned (due to manufacturing costs?) and Record then used the simpler Icarus versions, but with a new brake pad mounting design. The early model Record canti's are superb brakes

Your right, it is confusing, and thanks for the info, ive two chainsets, one came Icarus equipped the other Record, and to me they look identical, i shall have to dig them out and have another look.

Re:

Both are lovely Carl. The Icarus' spider has 5 arms, whereas the Record only has 4 and uses the back of the crank arm as the 5th, if that makes sense.
Check out the pic's in the '93 catalogue link, you'll see the difference.

Thats it, with steel inner ring

Whats that worth on the market these days....?

Re:

Well, went over as planned, needed a couple of small bits so thought I could have a nose.

Problem is that they aren’t letting any folk into the main body of the store! The cyclocross thing was on display but no sign of this from what I could see looking in, so you never know...

I too get confuddled with Campag so great information there chaps :D

Back