De-anodising and refinishing help, please

setspeed

Retro Guru
I have recently acquired a seatpost whose anodised layer is in a pretty bad way.
I was hoping to strip the blue off, and then give it a silver or gold finish. Whether that's by polishing (is it worth doing this and clearcoating a high-wear component like a seatpost?), or by simply sending it away to be anodised by a metal finishing company.

1. Can anyone who has done it, please advise the best way to strip the current anodised layer?
2. Can anyone who has done it, please advise what the costs were for anodising small components? I might do a stem at the same time. Did your company offer to put your items in with a bigger job for a reduced price? What company did you use?
3. Any other relevant advice, problems that you think I might run into?

Thanks!
Screenshot_20220409-124402__01.jpg

This might help with the ano removal

Funny enough I have polished a USE seatpost this week.

This is what we started with.

20220227_214245.jpg

I used oven cleaner to remove the anodising. Soaked for about 20 minutes. Then it's onto the wet and dry working through the various grades. Final job is polishing, I use autosol.

And this is what we have now. I might go over it once more to be fair and run it over the bench polisher.

20220409_144517.jpg

Speak to Gil at Retrodecals if you want replacement USE decals for that finishing touch.

Acorn plating in Sandhurst seems to used by a lot of people for re-anodising. Think I did read though that they now have a minimum charge so a one off like a seatpost is going to be expensive. Might as well get a few bits done at the same time.

Acorn plating in Sandhurst seems to used by a lot of people for re-anodising. Think I did read though that they now have a minimum charge so a one off like a seatpost is going to be expensive. Might as well get a few bits done at the same time.
Thanks, I took a look at their website and the minimum order value is £75. Maybe I ought to wait until I've found a stem that I'd like done at the same time, and see if anyone else around here wants some gold bling done on their parts, and get an order together.

Was going to say the same, im sure there are a few in the same boat.

Back