Stripping anodised alloy, help please

setspeed

Retro Guru
I recently acquired a shabby looking USE seatpost, the anodised layer has definitely seen better days.
I've been toying with/researching stripping the anodising off with caustic soda, but this then condemns me to a life of polishing the seatpost all the time to keep it looking decent.
Has anyone done this, and got advice regarding the whole process, stripping and subsequent polishing?
Or can anyone suggest any alternatives? I'm half tempted to buy some blue dye to paint on it (at very bottom) just to see what that does.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_124204.jpg
    IMG_20220423_124204.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 4
Rustins do a clear lacquer for polished metal. I've used it after renovating XT/XTR cranks. Its a brush on, somewhat self leveling, but might be a spray equivalent if google the above product.

For stripping I used drain cleaner, a pretty strong solution. Take care and probably best to stop up the tube so it only strips the outside, which you can easily see.
A basin of water is also a good idea, and do a bit at a time. Strip, neutralize, strip[p, neutralize etc etc.

I've used the basic soda crystals, mr muscle which are both ok, the soda crystals needed a strong solution, but i found Buster bathroom/sink unblocker to be about the best.

Remember not to use a foil dish to make up the solution in ;)

Last edited:
If you just scroll down the page some.. you'll find the exact same thread which you started last week o_O

I suppose if I set the seatpost and don't keep moving it up and down, then the lacquer won't get damaged.
If you just scroll down the page some.. you'll find the exact same thread which you started last week o_O
Almost the same. I see your point, I could have updated that thread, asking for alternatives.

For stripping I used drain cleaner, a pretty strong solution. Take care and probably best to stop up the tube so it only strips the outside, which you can easily see.
A basin of water is also a good idea, and do a bit at a time. Strip, neutralize, strip[p, neutralize etc etc.

I've used the basic soda crystals, mr muscle which are both ok, the soda crystals needed a strong solution, about

;)
pretty much this.
In my experience, drain cleaner from the pound shop works as well as any other. As above, do a bit at a time.

Back