Dawes Audax

Boris Dog

Retro Newbie
This is my 1995, Reynolds 501C, Dawes Giro 600 Audax bike. It was originally my father-in-law's until Alzheimers took hold and he was no longer able to ride. He was a member of the East Kent CTC and, once upon a time, we rode some centuries together and took some trips across the Channel to ride some randonees in northern France. You can't beat an organiser provided lunch stop of ham and cheese baguettes and bottles of Kronenbourg.
Originally it was Shimano RSX 7 speed equipped but I upgraded it this summer to 10 speed Tiagra shifters and a 105 long cage mech. I retained the RSX cranks and front mech but increased the rings from 46/36/26 to 48/38/30. I think the front mech may be a little wide for the 10 speed chain and it can throw the chain over the top ring occasionally. It is, however, a pleasure to ride and comes with memories attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 419
Re:

Lovely bikes

I sold a bunch of em in my LBS days. Some of the last UK built ones (last year UK built 1997 IIRC )

And a great back story too :)

Andy

I found a few brevet cards and certificates that are a part of the Dawes' history and include some of the trips that we made to ride in northern France. The Cap Griz Nez ride was the short option because we had to ride from the ferry port in Calais to the start at St Omer. For some reason, which my schoolboy French didn't allow me to get to the bottom of, everyone was given a cauliflower by a local farmer at the end of the ride. I remember having it stuffed into my jersey on the way back to the ferry: I'm not sure why I didn't just leave it on the verge.

Attachments

• IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0327.jpeg
    IMG_0327.jpeg