Dave Lloyd Concept90

Re:

Lots of things have kind of fallen in place this week.

I was given some wheels which I realised I could use on my Coppell, thereby freeing up the Dura Ace wheels for the Lloyd. I then had a sudden thought about gearing, as my son and I have been speaking about it, and realised I had a set of SRAM Rival cranks with 46 / 36 chainrings. I found a suitable cassette in my spares draw and then while tidying the garage found a set of Ultegra brake calipers (6800 I think) in a cardboard box, these are exactly what I was looking for, but goodness knows where they came from.

The stem and bars are for mock up purposes, although the stem might stay.

Headset lock nut is on its way, as are some other bars and a stem, so, we are getting close. Brake / shifters I already have, they are Dura Ace to match the F&R mech. Bar tape will be Lizard Snake, blue (of course).

The concern is the height of the front mech over the chainrings, so that experiment may have to be carried out on another bike, but I am happy with the look.

DSC_0052_zpspfjb68g1.jpg

DSC_0054_zpshmmhswuf.jpg

Re:

Looks like a nice build so far, Neil.

Yes, the front mech height is a bit too high for comfort, IMO.

I think a silver chainset would look so much nicer too. No, I'm not trying to sell one ! :LOL:

Personally, I would have to go for white tape, too much dark otherwise. Especially given the colour of the bars and stem that are heading your way!

But that's just my preference ;)

Mike

Re:

Thanks Mike.

I am aware of your preference for white bar tape. :mrgreen: I promise I will use some on the next build (the Lemond).

I'd like some silver cranks, but I can't find anything suitable that is not brutally ugly.

I prefer compact gearing, as it suits both my legs and the kind of riding I do, that limits me, as anything with a BCD of 130 or bigger just cannot accommodate small enough chainrings. I am going to pull those cranks off though, as I really don't think that combination is going to work too well. That said, look at a triple set up and the gaps between the chainrings and mech.

If anyone has any suggestions for shiny cranks, I'm interested to hear them.

Re:

White tape for some, Gitane, Jackson and DynaTech. But I also have coloured on the Cougar,Bianchi and Trek.

Black is definitely out though!

How about normal chainset with a cassette with bigger sprockets?

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":8539fvod said:
How about normal chainset with a cassette with bigger sprockets?

Mike

Yes, I did that with my Basso as I was lucky enough to find a 'touring' Campag rear mech which could cope with a few more teeth.

I'll keep kicking the possibilities around, I have a couple of cranks in my watch box.

Re:

Well, that's it done for the minute.

There may be changes in the future, especially if I can find the right cranks, but for now, it's finished.

Finished%206_zpsyf2hcb0r.jpg

Finished%205_zpsno0pphut.jpg

Ride report to follow soon.

Re:

That looks lovely, bar tape is a good match as well

Hope it rides as good as it looks!

Mike

Re:

Thankee.

The tape was bought via the inetrnet, so I was pleased when the colour match was so close.

I may get out later, or possibly tomorrow... ASAP anyway.

Re:

Looking great Neil, how much lighter are those wheels compared to the Mavics? Nice to see sensible gearing too, I might go compact!

Re:

Thanks Andy, it is MUCH lighter without the older Mavics and the Record crankset. I thought it was the BB that was heavy, but it turned out to be a modern Tifosi, and not a bad weight.

I would say from a completely unscientific 'lift test' that the whole bike is now down to around 8 to 9kgs.

As for gearing; my old pegs just can't pump traditional road gearing up the local hills, let along the ones I climb in Scotland, so compact is a necessity.

Back