Daughters new 2007 Kona Queen Kikapu

Roasted

Kona Fan
This is the most recent addition to the fleet, although it's actually for my 11 year old daughter.

I find kids bikes really annoying, you don't want to spend much money because they grow out of them too quickly but the cheap bikes are heavy and don't inspire confidence.

So I was on the look out for a decent 2nd hand extra small lady's mountain bike and this came up locally.

The listing said it was a 19" which it obviously isn't and it has a dent on the top tube. So I managed to bag it for £150 which is cheaper than a Halfords special.

The only issues with the bike was the lock out on the Rock Shox Tora forks wouldn't disengage, the back brake needed bleeding and the front hose was too short. I think the brakes were upgraded from Hayes to SLX which probably caused the brake issues.

I swapped out the forks for some Rock Shox Reba Race's that I had had in the shed. Put a new hose on the front and Bled the brakes. I also cut the bars down, put a different stem on on to suit my daughters shorter reach and I put a shorter seat post on so the saddle can be put lower. It seems to fit her quite well and she enjoys riding it.

Before
Screenshot_20221111-223307~2.png

After
20221120_131138.JPG

Bargain how bad is the dent?

It's quite a nasty dent, doesn't look like crash damage, more like something fell on it in the garage. But it has removed paint. Everything else has minimal wear.

20221120_225257.JPG

There was one other issue with it, the listing stated that it had a loose headset. The seller said he tried restacking the headset but nothing would fix it. I discovered that they had replaced the stem with one that had a lower stack height which meant that the top cap was hitting the top of the steer tube. So a larger spacer fixed that.

In a strange place for something falling on it. Right underneath
Agree don't look like crash damage either

Back