Dating?

oldave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
No, not on wrong part of thinterweb.
How is 1997 defined? E.g. my 1998 Manoamano was indeed 1st purchased early in that year, but obviously built in 1997. I assume belongs in post-97, despite build year.
I have just bought a 1997 Kileaua frame, but with all accompanying parts the complete groupset etc from a 1999 Explosif.
In which Forum does the Kileaua belong?
I should probably know all this but have never really thought about it before!

By definition your '98 bike belongs in the '98+ section, your '97 in the >'97. You could put anything on your '97 Kilauea, it would still be a '97 kilauea :)

All makes sense - thanks. Pretty much what I concluded, although I hadn't thought in Catalogue terms. Obviously much of what in any given year catalogue would have a frame number from previous year.
So as I assemble the Kileaua it will belong in this place!

Quite interesting looking at frame build dates re model year.
The 98 Manomano is H7N (bought in Jan 9:cool:, what I thought was a 95 Fire mountain is H6C (someone did comment that a 96 "special edition" based on colour) and the 97 Kileaua is as it should be H7L.
Do the last letters relate to dates or model or neither?

Do the last letters relate to dates or model or neither?
Date. Hodaka used a letter code for the month the frame was made, I believe. That makes Ms and Ns a bit confusing though (I have GTs recorded with those letters too). Maybe they started skipping a couple of letters or maybe they stopped using date codes and they don't mean anything. I need more '93-'95 GT serial numbers to be sure.

The 1997/1998 cut off and fun is whatever the mods don't notice.

I go by model year.
If it's a 1998 model (even if bought in late 1997), then it goes in the 1998 section.

Back