cycling on the pavement

It is illegal and it's easy for them to give a fixed notice. I think what the article is suggesting in that it's difficult to punish cyclists for more serious offences (which may include them cycling on the pavement).

As LGF rightly points out, it seems any new laws or updated laws would only be relevant for a tiny number of cases.

Yes, the number of pedestrian safety campaigners who've been bereaved in such a way must number nearly a baker's dozen or so by now. Clearly a priority issue for the government of the day.

The law is just fine as it is with the police showing discretion in how and when to apply it. If you are riding like a loon on a narrow pavement scaring pedestrians, don't be surprised if the police stop and fine you. If you are a parent with six year old taking them to a school while you both ride your bikes on a wide pavement, the police will likely and wisely look the other way.

During one of the London's periodic crackdown in these areas, I rode about ten metres off a very busy road to the cycle parking spot. Cue some police officer stepping out from their place of hiding and giving me the whole spiel. I listened politely, and we went on our way. Had he decided to fine me, I'd have explained my rationale for taking what seemed to be the safest choice - stop and block traffic while I dismounted on a busy fast moving road or ride up a dropped kerb and then ten metres on an empty pavement to the parking spot.

Last edited:
It is illegal and it's easy for them to give a fixed notice. I think what the article is suggesting in that it's difficult to punish cyclists for more serious offences (which may include them cycling on the pavement).
It's illegal under law, but guidence* from the top is that it's really only illegal if it needs to be, so people causing distress, riding dangerously etc.
It's been this way for over a decade, since the FPNs started.
Basically if you need to ride on the footpath (e.g. safety), do so but be considerate.

Also a pavement (footpath) here is only next to a road, so part of the carriageway, if it is not next to a road it is not illegal in anyway unless they have a by-law to restrict it. Many snickets, footbridges, parks.. have these by-laws in place, you'll see the good old and ignored signs. Some pedestrianised areas have the by-laws in place too.

If this article is what I think it is, they just want to introduce/update fines and term for death by dangerous cycling.etc. there are already terms used that carry up to 2years.
Basically make cyclist think a bit more about the consequences, which of course is great, need to make drivers do that too.

*I hope the article mentions and links to the guidence police officer should be using.

Some forty years ago I was stopped by a police officer you told I must not ride on the pavement . I replied that I was fully aware of the law . I then pointed out it was 0530 hrs (am)
And apart from him and me there was not another soul to be seen .
I reckon he was knackered at the end of a night shift and was looking for someone to talk to.
[I was on my way home from work.]

Back