Cycling: is there a spiritual side to it?

I think some of you need to cycle on some arterial roads here in Australia, then re-evaluate whether you still think cycling is 'spiritual' or not.
Is having a sandwich thrown in your face 'spiritual'? How about a lit firecracker? What about being passed by a big semi-trailer within an inch of death?

I think some of you need to cycle on some arterial roads here in Australia, then re-evaluate whether you still think cycling is 'spiritual' or not.
Is having a sandwich thrown in your face 'spiritual'? How about a lit firecracker? What about being passed by a big semi-trailer within an inch of death?
I was born and rode in London. What's your point? I've had fags, milk shakes, food, abuse you name it hurled at me. If you hate it so much why do you do it?

Having offended @The History Man yesterday with some anti religious buffoonery, I decided to try and make amends.

Today I read the preface to "Science and Spiritual practices" by Rupert Sheldrake. He is a scientist with a spiritual look on life who wants to make spiritual practices accesible to all. When I read about him going on pilgrimages in England, I thought about my travels on the bicycle. I have at some point said on this venerable forum how I feel my bicycle hums while we go along. This occurs when I find a rhythm and a certain speed. I only experience this on one of my bicycles, the others are merely good but this one is an extension of myself. A longer ride, usually with a goal and a return journey, to me also has the quality of a pilgrimage, where you travel along a road where so many have gone before you to a certain destination. It is a reconnection with the road, the countryside and the places you visit. It has a spiritual quality, I realized while I read Rupert's book.

The question then for this thread is, do you feel there is more to a ride than mastering the bicycle and the terrain and becoming fit?

View attachment 717665
Si true

I didn't say I hate it. I like the cycling side (without crazy people).
I just don't find all rides "spiritual".
A spiritual journey doesn't have to be a smooth one. But I think what you mean is that road terror and abuse keeps you from experiencing flow. Which is a shame.

Also when a bicycle is a means to an end, to feeling free and connecting with the world, then buying a new chainring can take on more meaning, is how I see it.

A spiritual journey doesn't have to be a smooth one. But I think what you mean is that road terror and abuse keeps you from experiencing flow. Which is a shame.

I just bought this bastardised carbon wrap seatpost, thinking it was a real carbon one. Arrived today. Look at it!
Again, spirituality aside, seller (not on the forum mind you) can shove his alloy post!😂

I'm just not buying this spirituality argument.😐

Attachments

• IMG_20230313_190618.jpg
    IMG_20230313_190618.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
I'll offer this. Years ago I was talking to a psychologist who happened to be cyclist commuter (Brompton fanboy if you must know, fold up pedals etc.) about this, and the supposedly therapeutic nature (spiritual?) of just cycling. His view was that cycling is so incredibly complex and unnatural for a human being, it requires the brain to focus much more on motor like functions and the rest shuts down.

It made a bit of sense to me, and got me thinking about the million calculations the brain must be going through to simply balance and steer.
And in the middle of a racing bunch chuck in a few more calculations ! But that's drifting away from spiritual more into fear and pain !

Latest posts

Back