Cleland Range Rider (RR-001 English Cycles) Highpath. 1982

Re: Range Rider brochure

I've tried to post the images - cover of the brochure followed by the contents, Jeremy also sent me a letter (28/11/85) with more details, and the three models - Range Rider, Trekker and Racing Rodents - and prices.

Been unable to post the, I get a message...the extension pdf is not allowed !

Rk.

Re: Range Rider brochure

roadking":2tsszvog said:
I've tried to post the images - cover of the brochure followed by the contents, Jeremy also sent me a letter (28/11/85) with more details, and the three models - Range Rider, Trekker and Racing Rodents - and prices.

Been unable to post the, I get a message...the extension pdf is not allowed !

Rk.
Can you adjust your scanner so that it saves the file in a format and resolution that RetroBike will accept, like a .jpeg or .bmp etc?

Alternatively you will need some or a conversion App or software like (eg Adobe Acrobat or Photoshop) that will open a pdf and then let you save the images in a RetroBike friendly format.
You could also display the PDF on the computed and use 'printscreen' to copy it, or take some digital photos of the documents instead of scanning them.

I own a 'Trekker' and would love to know more about these bikes and how they were promoted!

Graham

This prototype was the first mountain bike frame that Jeremy Torr made. He later went onto building the production Cleland Aventura frames for Geoff Apps as well as his own 'English Cycles' Range Rider the first UK mountain bikes to be fitted with Biopace chainsets in 1985 and also the Metro Trekker version. As well as building frames for other brands such as Eclipse he also found time to write books on mountain biking and co-found the UK's first 'Mountain Bike Club' with Max Glaskin.

Because this was a prototype there were clearance issues with its experimental rear triangle but instead of trying to correct them Jeremy made a completely new frame and this frame remained at Rowsham where the Clelands were assembled until 1988. Then Geoff Apps moved to Sussex and it found its way with other unused Cleland parts to Highpath Engineering in Guildford. Then onto Wales when Highpath relocated. At some point David Wrath-Sharman at Highpath removed the troublesome rear triangle and the remains of the bike were stored.

Steve Chantler aquired remains believing them to be those of an earlier Geoff Apps Range Rider that was ridden up Snowdon in October 1981. He then restored and rebuilt the bike with a mix of components some original most not. Who rebuilt the frame is not known however the reinforcement work at the top of seat post is identical to that carried out on several bikes by David Wrath-Sharman.

Originally this bike would have been fitted with 650x47B rims and tyres and a mixture of BMX, Motorbike and touring bike components. I will see if I can find an original picture of the bike as it originally was in 1982.

Well done for acquiring this piece of early UK MTB History and welcome to the Cleland owners club.
Given this bikes history and practicality, I think you got a bargain. In comparison, I wonder how much a 1982 Specialized StumpJumper prototype would sell for? It certainly wouldn't be as comfortable to ride.
Hello! I've just come across this discussion via info on the English Range Rider. I bought mine back in 1984 from a bike shop in Leeds. I used it for years and then it ended up in the garage and hadn't been out on it for years. I decided to get it fixed up only to discover a crack in the frame behind the front sprocket. It's where the frame has been had been ground away either by the chain (although I doubt that as it's still painted) or it had been done during manufacture as it's still painted as I mentioned.
I'd love to get the bike back on the road. The guys in the bike shop I took it to got very excited about it so sounds like it's worth restoring! Do you have any advice for me? Where can I go to get it repaired? Is there an original manufacturer or descendent I could contact?
Any help much appreciated!. Thanks! Peter

Photos of my English Range Rider needing some TLC

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    584.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    648.5 KB · Views: 30
Hello Peter, painful-looking crack, but those forks are a-mazing! A frame-builder would be able to give you a new chainstay....at a price.....Mercian publish a price-list on their website....have a try there. They'd be able to make it look like new with paint too if you wish to push the boat out. Good luck!

Hello Peter, painful-looking crack, but those forks are a-mazing! A frame-builder would be able to give you a new chainstay....at a price.....Mercian publish a price-list on their website....have a try there. They'd be able to make it look like new with paint too if you wish to push the boat out. Good luck!
Cheers Steve, I'll take a look. It's a great bike to ride so would love to get it all fixed up. Originally all the cable runs were red as was the seat and handlebar grips (these are still the original ones just a bit 'faded'!!)... would love to get it back to how it looked 40 years ago!

Do update us and start your own thread if you decide to 'do' something with it. It must be quite a rare beastie and would be real head-turner and of course you could get back out on it again! I think it would be worth throwing £350-£400 at it as it's 'your' bike. Heaven knows how much it would cost to buy an un-cracked frame if you could find one.
If you did renovate bear in mind that someone like Mercian most likely wouldn't have the decals so don't strip it of paint etc until you've measured positioning of decals and actually got a set in-hand. H LLoyd might have them, or you might need the help from someone like Gil on this forum who makes a lot of decals used round these parts.
It'd be a labour of love and ££ but nostalgia is a powerful thing! If you swung your leg back over it again after all these years...well....that'd feel pretty great. If it's too much to take on offer it here - someone here might take a shine to it - even with it's problems.

Do update us and start your own thread if you decide to 'do' something with it. It must be quite a rare beastie and would be real head-turner and of course you could get back out on it again! I think it would be worth throwing £350-£400 at it as it's 'your' bike. Heaven knows how much it would cost to buy an un-cracked frame if you could find one.
If you did renovate bear in mind that someone like Mercian most likely wouldn't have the decals so don't strip it of paint etc until you've measured positioning of decals and actually got a set in-hand. H LLoyd might have them, or you might need the help from someone like Gil on this forum who makes a lot of decals used round these parts.
It'd be a labour of love and ££ but nostalgia is a powerful thing! If you swung your leg back over it again after all these years...well....that'd feel pretty great. If it's too much to take on offer it here - someone here might take a shine to it - even with it's problems.
Cheers Steve, I have also been in touch with Woodrup in Leeds (it's nearer to me) and they say they can fit a new chain-stay etc. Do you know them? Are they any good? They seem to have a comprehensive workshop. Also asked about a repaint and mentioned the decals and they said they do have a range and they can be duplicated from good photos etc. Prices seemed reasonable... let's see. I'm going to send them photos etc.
Maybe I will start a new thread and track the project. I'm looking forward to doing it and getting it back on the road.

Woodrup= a name that's been around for donkeys producing and repairing frames - no personal experience but I'd have no hesitation.

What's money after all? Spend it, enjoy it. If you've got some money and got kids they won't miss a few hundred quid. They might then have 'dad's' cool old MTB to fight over when the time comes! By then you'll have enjoyed riding it again. Win-win.

Woodrup= a name that's been around for donkeys producing and repairing frames - no personal experience but I'd have no hesitation.

What's money after all? Spend it, enjoy it. If you've got some money and got kids they won't miss a few hundred quid. They might then have 'dad's' cool old MTB to fight over when the time comes! By then you'll have enjoyed riding it again. Win-win.
Ha! No kids so I can afford to spend some money on the bike! I've done as you suggested and opened up a new thread about the bike. Wasn't sure where to put it so it's under a BMX retro tab I think...

Back