CX expectations

Re: Re:

andyz":3ntcwurx said:
The mud clearance is a bit tight on CX bikes too.
Really? Most CX bikes have masses of mud clearance.
Unless you've bought one of the modern "tourers with nobbly tyres" which are currently masquerading as CX bikes or are running massive tyres......

Some people have already hit the nail on the head. The "CX boom" hit Stockholm, Sweden years and
years ago simply because you could get a decent all-rounder / all-weather reliable bike to cope with
tarmac, any badly maintained bike paths, forest path short-cuts, any unsurfaced roads, and the constant deviations through the ever increasing construction sites. Basically, they are perfect for commuting from
far into the city without any hassle.

They truely are the kind of bike to just put your leg over it, and just ride. Obviously there are limits,
but you would be very surprised just how capable they are for light XC type stuff. As somebody said,
a bit like the early days of full rigid MTB to go anywhere, and just lift or carry your bike if it gets
too gnarly or there are obsticles (obviously what the CX pros can do is damn impressive).

What you will miss though coming from the MTB world is traction off-road. Typically a 35c will
spin easy if you climb off the saddle, so you may need to change your style and sit down with
lower gears. Cornering is always a little more thrilling, and more about slowing down and keeping
the gas on rather than jamming on the brakes at the last second. IMHO disk brakes on a CX is
overkill unless you love riding in mud all the time. Personally I'm using semi-slicks, but tend only
to go out on the CX for long rides in dry conditions. Sometimes I've got carried away off-road, which
usually results in truing up the wheels so I do recommend something beefy. If it's muddy, then
I opt for the more capable MTB with proper mud tyres.

If you are from a road background, you will miss the top-end speed and need to be content with
a lower average speed but you will gain comfort and have fewer punctures.

Thanks for such a well considered and comprehensive response.

I shall take it out on some of my less strenuous sections and see how it goes before changing/adding anything.

As for missing the speed, I do that whatever I ride :facepalm:

Just to add, when I say all weather it really meant being able to put the Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 35c x 700c studded
tires and still have ample clearance for any snow build up. Such is life here.

Just thought of another which may be a little bothersome at first; there will most likely be toe overlap with the front
wheel unlike a MTB, so a little more care is needed for small turning circles on any off-road switch backs.

Thanks again. Really looking forward to it. Will post my thoughts after first ride for what they're worth.

Re:

Jason they are perfect for round our way as you well know MTB are pretty overkill , you can really get some nice routes together hopping from B roads to bridals and cover serious miles without dragging the big tyres around. Regarding their limits I always found they could take the rough punishment more than me off roading so it's not so much the limits of the bike but more how much you want to punish yourself riding it :D as above adapting your riding style is the key but they are harsh on you for sure. Doing the HONC 100k on one the other year was tough towards the end with every stone going right through you :D

The only time I really didn't like the cross bike was trying some steep loose technical stuff (not really my best skill on a MTB!! :facepalm: ) was the breaking grip .. The tyres locked up really easy , sure that was more me though than bike :roll:

You will enjoy it :cool:

Woz":11p012hi said:
Just thought of another which may be a little bothersome at first; there will most likely be toe overlap with the front
wheel unlike a MTB, so a little more care is needed for small turning circles on any off-road switch backs.
unlikely on a frame that size.....

Off up to Cheshire to pick this up this evening. Got it for a steal even factoring in the diesel. The sale of the SBDU has fully covered it so the boss is happy.

Don't you just gate the wait? (Another apt ipad text substitution)

Back